Head Gasket

Might change my bro's head gasket tommorow on his 1.4 8v Astra LS 1996, it look real easy but is there anything that can bite me in the ass?

I presume the cam belt can just be marked and slipped back on after?

Headset cost? 20 quid seem right form halfrauds?

It's a shittyu car anyway so I wont bother having the head skimmed, but you can actually see seepage coming from the gasket, looks real simple to work on as the head bolts are exposed x8, will i get away with just whipping the head off or will I have to take off the manifolds and inlet, or can i just skide the new one in?

Then it's just a case of drain oil, and water refill, new filter and plugs, and job done?

Reply to
ronny

Yeah..the water pump which is the cambelt tensioner being seized into the block. Make sure you get a new water pump O ring. If it is indeed stuck, remove the hose that comes out of the rear of where it is and whack it out with a lump of wood (as a drift) and a hammer.

Won't save much going elsewhere.

Reply to
Conor

Will the belt not stretch enough to slip it off the cog and then slip it back on?

I really don't want to remove the belt totally if poss

Reply to
ronny

If the water pump tensions the belt, and it's seized and there's enough slack to let the belt slip off the pump pulley, will the belt not probably be goosed?

Seriously dude, not changing the belt when the head is off is a massive bodge. How long do you expect the car to last?

If the belt's at the right tension there's no way you'll be able to get it off without slackening the tensioner. If the tensioner is the water pump and it's seized in position then I don't think you'll be able to change the pump without removing the belt. If the belt's off, why not change it especially if you're going to the trouble of changing the head gasket.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

ok i will :)

If I shaft it, it's a 200 quid car, so i am not that worried.

Any advice to change Cam belt will be handy though... thx

Reply to
Ronny

Dunno about the specifics of doing it on an Astra, but if you don't have the confidence to remove the belt, then replace it, it's usually possible to split the belt lengthways, (so it's only half as wide), remove half, then slip a new one on. Once it's on, cut the rest of the old one off.

Reply to
Tony Bond

Nice idea thanks tony..

Reply to
Ronny

Sounds a bit fiddly compared with marking the block and sprockets with Tip-Ex.

Reply to
SteveH

There's a very good chance you'll need to remove the head completely so you can cleanup the head and block to get a smooth surface it parts of the old gasket are sticking to it. If you can I'd soak the exhaust manifold and downpipe studs and bolts with WD40 today, you'll stand a slightly better chance of getting them off tomorrow if you need to before resorting to more drastic methods. Are Vauxhall head studs re-useable or the stretch type?

Reply to
Homer

assume small block 1600 :)

piece of cake loosen the tensioner and slip it off :)

just remember and mark the pulleyts

was rforever doing h/g's on the old nova sheds

Reply to
Rob

it's a 1.4 8v :)

Very small engine, loads of room to work

Reply to
Ronny

Thx homer, I don't know if they are stretch bolts, but they will be going back in :)

This is literally a quick job to fix a problem,

Reply to
Ronny

It's a very easy job.

Yes, it's much easier doing this than taking the cambelt cover off at the bottom and removing it.

I'd get the genuine bits from a Vauxhall dealer and doubt if they'd be any more expensive. You should replace the head bolts as they stretch but it's not essential.

Leave the manifolds attached to the head and just take the entire lot off in one go.

Reply to
James Grabowski

You can just about on 8v Vauxhall engines and it makes it much easier. To change the belt you need to take the crank pulley off so the bottom part of the cambelt cover can come off.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Didn't manage to slip the belt when it was tensioned on my Polo (admittedly not a Vauxhall) so I took the cam pulley off as it looked easier than the crank pulley.

Yeah, I remember now that's why I didn't change the belt on the Polo when I changed the water pump. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Thanks james, will let you know how it goes tommorow if we don't get this monsoon we are supposed to get :)

Reply to
Ronny