I give up.

I assume it's just the starter turbine that he's using to drive the turbo, and not the helicopter main engine?

Homer

Maybe he isn't doing that.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

wouldn't that air be hot tho? i thought engines ran better on cold air?

james

Reply to
john doe

I presumed so too.

But I have one here

Its a Solent gas turbine starter.

Its about 16 lb in weight and 72 shaft hp... Not 7.2 but 72!

Now a bleed from the compressor should be plenty of boost, as it runs at about 4 bar... It makes a lot of noise and heat too. The exhaust used to drive a secondary turbine much much bigger than a car turbo to give output power to a shaft. It can spare the amount of air a small turbocharger produces directly from its compressor without really noticing...

Reply to
Burgerman

They do. But a turbo compressor is exactly the same as the turbojet comnpressor. Both give hot air - thats why we use intercoolers.

Reply to
Burgerman

oh yeah, i had forgotten that :-)

james