I think I'll be modifying the 9-3...

...yesterday a spring broke on the 9-3. That wrecked the tyre, which was moderately interesting.

Not too big a deal because the tyres had just dropped below 3mm and I was gonna get them changed at the end of the month anyway. And 9-3s do chew their OEM springs. But wait, this spring was the opposite side to the one that broke at the end of last winter and was supposed to have been changed.

*sighs small claims time*

Still, now that the second spring has gone, it's time for a suspension kit. :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Confused - you changed both when the first one broke?

Higher or lower? :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Happened to a friend who took his car out for the first time in ages. It's a powerful thing and was planning on taking it for a proper blast. Driving out of his yard area, a spring broke and trashed the tyre. As he moved the car back to his parking spot, the other broke, trashing the other tyre. He later realised his insurance had also just expired! Imagine if he'd got out onto the road and was blasting along when it happened. A very big, uninsured accident! He was very lucky!

Reply to
fishman

Yeah. 9-3 Sport Saloons are known to break their springs. I figured after

65K, one broke, so the other wouldn't be too far behind. Okay so I was probably 16K behind, but there you go. The main reason why I wanted both changing was because sometimes when they break, they protrude from the suspension strut and chew tyres or break wheels.

So I was right.

It is possible that a spring would break in 16,000 miles and nine months... possible...

Lower. The Saab kit only lowers by 10mm. Most of the rest lower by around

35mm, which Charlie will notice.
Reply to
DervMan

Ah, got you.

Any clues like the two springs being obviously of different age?

Reply to
Clive George

I'll know when I get them both off. :)

Decided in the end to have the Saab main dealer do it. Least it'll be done right. And I will be getting standard springs. Meh.

Reply to
DervMan

So the bright lights, free espresso and fit receptionist will have you believe anyway :)

PS Get a JPG of the receptionist :)

Reply to
fishman

Hirsch my friend, Hirsch. Do you not learn anything.

Reply to
Elder

I bet he's lovely. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Cash.

Reply to
DervMan

He is. Would do it for me.

Reply to
DervMan

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Harsh.

Reply to
Adrian

The the 9-3 SS, they're reckoned to be between the standard and sports chassis set up from the factory.

Of course, when somebody has spent £800 or so on the kit and it's brand new so still hasn't settled, they're bound to find £800 worth of value in it! :)

Reply to
DervMan