Oooh, RX8s are getting cheaper.

Autotrader says they're £4-6k for a cheapy.

As a prospect for some fun as a second car for a year, tell me why I shouldn't?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

=A3400 road tax, s**te fuel economy, oil usage (they like the expensive stuff too). The running costs are equivalent to more exotic stuff (a family member has one and it's skinting them).

If none of the above bothers you, go for it, aforementioned family member absolutely adores theirs.

Reply to
fishman

The engine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nothing wrong with that engine.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

You should, but be aware that anything cheap will be likely due apex seals...

The abysmal fuel consumption doesn't improve with gentle driving either, which is a good excuse not to drive gently.

Great engine (if you like revs, and I do), proper soft RWD setup so it feels great to drive. Try and get one with the six speed gearbox.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But but but it says 'beep' when you get to the end of the rev range.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You might not want to sell it after a year?

There's a buying guide in this months PPC. The only real weak point they mention is the coil packs which can give a poor spark and lead to rapid rotor tip wear. They say run the car till the engine is hot, switch off and leave for 5 minutes. They try and restart it, if it starts easily it should be okay, if not then walk away.

Reply to
Homer

Hmm. Big road tax is a bit of a scunner. The other stuff I could probably get used to. Maybe.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Is it a realistic DIY? I'm fascinated by the insides of these things.

How hard can it be?

I had a go of one when I was buying the MX-5. Lovely smooth grippy thing which rode well.

Might be a bit more room inside. My MX-5 is shrinking now I am not 10

1/2 stone anymore.
Reply to
Douglas Payne

No torque. Gulps petrol. Sucks donkey dick.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You've never driven a rotary, have you?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Errr, I think you might be confusing it with an RX7? From what I hear, apex seal problems aren't all that common with RX8s (unless it's had ignition problems).

It's a rotary, they all do that and it's IMHO the big downside.

Chassis based on the FD RX7, so it should handle beautifully. I don't care much for the RX8's looks but I'm occasionally toying with the idea of getting one.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Well you're wrong there. They are horrible engines. Not a patch on a V12 although they drink petrol like a V12.

Mazda have created a rotary that is as economical in the RX8 as the 6.0 V12 was in a Jaguar weighing twice as much. That's an achievement. Oh, and the V12 is a smoother, altogether nicer engine.

Other than that the RX8 is fine. Apart from it looking like something that my cat sicked up.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But £400 is only three or four tanks more of petrol than the more usual £200...

Reply to
DervMan

Didn't RichKP have one of these for a while between Beetle and C6? Might be worth trying to track him down and asking him.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

So, which one(s) have you driven then?

Remind me again what the average mpg on a Jaguar V12 was? 10mpg?

What sort of rotary have you been exposed to then, to make the claim that i

Yep, I'm not a big fan of the looks either.

Reply to
Timo on tour

A V12 is on my list of cars to have owned before I die, as is a Rotary. They're on there for different reasons. I've never driven a V12 but I am sure either would be fun for my fairly regular cross-country tootle from Aberdeen to Fort William.

I've got a relatively fuel efficient car already.

I've never hankered after cat sick, but I think the RX-8 looks quite cool.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Tax on the MX-5 is £200 or so. £400 seems excessive. Funny how that works. (c:

Mind ewe, when the super low emissions, 60bhp shitbox 106 I have costs over £120, it seems a bit silly worrying. Insuring the 106 was only £140 this year.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's an acquired taste and quite a fussy design. However it does look best in that dark metallic purple, which I think is a cost option from new.

Reply to
fishman

I think that's told us all how reliable they're likely to be :-)

Reply to
Clive George