I think I'm in love

Gave someone a hand this week to move a newly finished shell into their garage. He showed me his other cars while I was there.

One of which was....

An E30 M3.

Oh dear - new pants required.

Built to racing car standards, but not stickered up in any way and wearing a very very expensive number plate, it had been stripped right back to a bare shell, had a welded in cage fittted which picks up all of the suspension, Motec management, 2.5 Race Engine, all the good stuff in other words.

It's a good one, a really good one.

Paintwork was so super clean you could have eaten your dinner off it.

Unfortunately, clean as it is, it hasn't been used in anger for years.

I'm sure Sir Doug will have seen it too and can verify what a tool it is.

If only I had a a whoooooollllllle load more money, I would have made an offer on it as it's probably for sale, but it's hugely valuable, so there you go. I won't be having it, but can still love it for what it is - a mega spec pukka genuine racing car.

Now, where did I put the Skoda keys ? ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yeah, I had a quick look round it once when I was up at the house. It's tidy and done good, right and properly. I'd love a burn round a track in it, even as a passenger but there was only 1 seat. (c:

Worry at the time I saw it was that water was getting in the garage roof and buggering that and the road going JT7.

I did comment on the value of the numberplate but our man seemed pretty nonplussed. A value for the car was mentioned, I think it was about twice what I paid for the MX-5 a couple of years ago. It was for sale then.

The impression I got was that once the big geezer got into the likes of Gallardos he lost interest in going fast in this particular manner.

Clan Crusadermania and a return to the simple things in life was sweeping that corner of the world last time I was around at christmas. Have you been keeping your hand in at the workshop?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Every Thursday bar SWMBOs birthday I've been there.

There are now two completely restored Clan shells, one new shell and a fourth shell elsewhere.

Attention is now focused in JT7'C' as it is to be known. So the Clnas are on the back burner for a bit. The tandem two seater will probably be looking for anew home too.

Oh and CAD has reared its ugly head via a new machine which I brought over. We also have Andy the water jet boy on board now. I'll draw the parts and he will cut them.

I'm sure we can catch up over there some Thusday night - I'm the new tea boy since you started playing with aeroplanes, so I'll make you a cuppa.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd love an E30 M3.

But a good one costs as much as a good Alfa Montreal.

One day I may do the poor mans' version - the 318iS.

Reply to
SteveH

JT7C, made to fit tall buggers?

Awesome.

I will have to schedule my arrival to co-incide with a munchie box.

Its great to have a job again but I miss the whole thing and especially the Thursday nights a lot.

I can nearly see Mr GWR's (of V10 Predator fame) house from my gaff, there's some trees in the way but he's only a couple of miles from here.

I'll hopefully get my face known with some of the NE lot this hillclimb season and keep my eyes peeled for a role as a more local tea-boy.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes - in your absence, the next tallest bugger has been told to sit down and pretend they're driving a car, only to be descended upon with measuring tapes. That'll be me.

Cool. Very.

Great idea. Speed motorsport is huge in the North East and you could do worse than get your neb in at GWR. GM would probably consider you an insider scouting for ideas. :-)

Gie's a shout next time you're down.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Dunno if this'll impress people who aren't into it, but here is the GWR Predator in action somewhere:

It makes proper noise in the flesh and is quicker than my realism glands can really cope with.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

What's the engine from now? Sounds like a F1 V10 and gearbox? Last time I saw that car it had a V6 DTM engine. I know a couple of the top runners in the championship and would like to race myself one day when I've got a half competitive car but know I couldn't compete with the money involved to win, plus Doune scares me just watchng the cars.

Homer

Do it sooner than later. Anything interesting, older and RWD has multiplied in price over the last few years, I can only see this continuing with lesser models as the top models become more unreachable on a budget. I was looking for an E30 M3 project myself to convert to E36 M3 3.0L Turbo but the prices for a decent E30 M3 have gone silly in the last couple of years. Wish I could go back ten years and fill a barn with Mk2 Escorts and E30 M3s, they'd be worth a fortune now.

Reply to
Homer

It was originally an Ex arrows V10, then they went with the V6.

Then that came out and the Arrows engine went back in again.

Apparently it eats gearboxes as a hobby.

It is a scary place. There are two hillclimbs near me. Forrestburn is a challenge, but not a killer. Doune on the other hand has all the potential in the world to rip your head right off.

I'll do as many Forrestburn events as I can possibly manage, but I'm not sure I'll ever do Doune. We'll have to see. If the car proves to be reasonably quick and if I build a bit of confidence in my own abilities, maybe. Right now, it's not something I think I'll do.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Hehe, bang on. I believe that it is a F1 V10. I saw it at Fintray last year. It was chucking it down so the crazy amounts of downforce he can run made the spray into a spectacular water show.

Find a class that isn't overpopulated by people with a lot of money and see if you can at least compete in that. I have a mate who competed in an MX-5 last year but got a bit disheartened by the lack of other MX-5s. He ended up in the same class as a Boxster S and TVR Griffith. The racing was closer than one might immediately think but he didn't win.

The more money you have the quicker you are and the less time you get to spend on the track. (c:

As I'm sure you know, the top runners do Doune, which is 1350m, in well under 40 secs. That video you posted of Doune is scary. Its like its been speeded up.

Reply to
Douglas Payne