Impending doom, errr, sig change

On Sunday I shall be picking up what certain people consider to be a slightly tuned VW beetle[1]...

And because I'm a firm believer in the quality of German engineering (or just plain daft), I'll be taking said vehicle to Germany and France. Oh well, the insurance *does* include breakdown cover.

[1] Late 911 Carrera 3.2 Targa with an entirely believeable 60k on the clock.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

You lucky bastard.

They're the 80s stockbroker edition, aren't they?

I really hope it's guards red.....

Not sure if that's my favourite shape, or the later 964. Don't like the

99x series cars, though.
Reply to
SteveH

That's a big moment in life.

Enjoy every second of it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Have fun but be sure to have a GPS with the location of fixed speedcams=20 with you: they are a real genuine PITA, especially on highways in=20 France.

As French highways have no lighting, electricity is not everywhere=20 available: most speedcams are situated in the vicinity of bridges.=20 Speaking of bridges: if you spot a bloke in a light blue shirt on a=20 bridge, slow down. 9/10 it will be a "gendarme" with lasergun and he=20 will have radiocommunication with an interception vehicle, stationed 1=20 mile down.

So the insurance covers breakdown... You won't need it :-)

Put some rain-X on: a part from the south-east (Bouches du Rh=F4ne,=20 Vaucluse) there will be quite some rain over most of France.=20

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Go for your life. I love those cars. My god yes. I live for the day I can afford one of those with any chance of making it between MOTs.

Reply to
Elder

Cool :-)

I drove abroad those same kinda places a while ago as you know, and I just drove really fast everywhere and we didn't get stopped or nabbed :-) Don't take that as a recommendation though hehe ;-)

It won't break down anyway so you won't need the cover I'm sure.

Reply to
DanB

I miss my old SC and the Carrera 3.2 I was using a couple of years ago.

Fabulous cars. Check the heater valves work, and that the oil pipes to the sump tank aren't rotted and it'll be fine.

Congratulations Timo. You've probably made a lot of Porsche fans very happy. The people who already own 'em will soon be wondering why the residuals have nose-dived, but you're doing the rest of us a huge favour. Just don't kill it!

Reply to
Pete M

It isn't. I don't like guards red cars. It is, however, red (Velvet Red

- very rare colour on these).

I don't really like the newer ones, did look at a 964 but they do contain a few even more expensive headaches compared to the earlier ones, so I figured an SC or a 3.2 would do the job better.

Was shortly tempted by a '71 911T but that would've spent the next year up at Beav's.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I noticed that earlier in the year. Plus, they seem to keep an eye out for speeding Brits, too...

Thanks.

I certainly don't hope so. For once I tried to buy near the top end of the market (top end for a regular one, that is) precisely to avoid any sort of headaches.

We went down to the Luberon earlier this year and I've never seen it that wet. At the moment I'm not sure if the idea of going down into the same area is that good...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Be sure to also have a route locked into it as if you're caught with something used solely for speed detection they'll not be nice to you.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

They crack down hard on users of speedometers then?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

If you're British, yes.

Reply to
DervMan

Depends what you're using the speedometer for I s'pose.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I won't :). BTW, I haven't forgotten about talking to my cousin yet, I will get around to it properly but we're both rather busy atm.

It's mostly there for peace of mind. I've had the car inspected by a well-known Porsche "consultant" and all that, but I only have a day or two to get used to it an check it over before I have to drive it for

1500+ miles...
Reply to
Timo Geusch

It's ok, there is plenty of Porsche 'consultant's' in the ring car park :-)

Have you a place to stay yet? If not, and it maybe too late, but we stayed here -

- hotel was full but what the site doesn't mention is that the privately owned apartments are rented out by the owner - Eddie. They cost 30euro extra (well our 3 bed did) than his hotel but 130 euro a night split 3 ways wasn't too bad and was SO worth it. Balcony overlooks the track and the breakfast is excellent. If you want to stay there, ring tomorrow and try get a booking, I am 100% certain if you stayed there, you'd be so glad you did hehe. The owner has a black 997 version 911 GT3 RS, with orange detailing and in the garage next door in his 'Russian friend's' 911 GT3 RS, in orange with black detailing haha :-D He's the kinda guy you could talk to for days and never get bored of him heh,

Reply to
DanB

Put some rain-X on: a part from the south-east (Bouches du Rhône, Vaucluse) there will be quite some rain over most of France.

Tom De Moor

***************************************

I'd second that, we had rain that was just biblical, my wipers were only just keeping up. Having been in my mates car in the rain, albeit not quite as bad, with rain-x on the motorway I'd recommend it, it works amazingly well.

Reply to
DanB

CIHAG (in the passenger seat), M?

Will exchange this for one heatsink / processor fan combo I happen to have sitting in front of me as we speak. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I'm sure this can be arranged once we're back from holiday.

I doubt I'd need a bribe but obviously I'm not saying no to this.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

We've had the same in May - I don't think I've seen that much water down in the Provence, with the Rhone and the Durance almost ready to burst their banks.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Unfortunately I'll have to skip the Ring - we're going to Amsterdam first and I have to make it down to the South of Germany on Friday so I'm back "home"[1] in time for my school reunion.

I've got most of the places sorted out fortunately, just need to get the hotels for the last two nights sorted.

Reply to
Timo Geusch