In-car FM Transmitter

You'd just tell the Police that the "old fart" was doing 35mph as he drove away and they'd instantly forget all about you and go after the more serious conviction :)

Reply to
LordyUK

I've lived in Aberdeen for nearly 5 years and I've never heard a policeman speak like that. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

well you'd whack in somewhere out of view i'd of though and if they caught you speeding i'm sure they would care about an FM transmiter. mind you copper round my way to care about much except leaving dead on 6pm from the big ass police station they built.

Reply to
Vamp

So ?

Reply to
Nom

Who cares.

There's stacks of em on eBay.

No alternative is required. It's legality is neither here nor there.

Reply to
Nom

Seconded.

Reply to
Nom

Exactly, but I felt oblidged to tell 'im! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Is it possible to set up a pirate radio station using one of these devices? Hook up the transmitter to a linear amplifier or an aerial with MAHOOSIVE gain and there you have it :)

Reply to
fishman

No there isnt. The clock on a pc would have to pass certain standards for RF caused by it. If it produced a carrier it would be instantly illegal, and the problem would have to be fixed.

If you use a transmitter of ANY Form that uses wireless i.e. no physical connection to a reciever. Its illegal (to use) full stop. HOWEVER you could have a 1000 watt FM transmitter and stick a dummy load on it (turns rf energy into heat) and that would transmit many meters, technically it would be perfectly legal as your not transmitting since you have no antenna.

P.s. This was my job for 5 years. I have worked on more tramsitters and amplifiers than I have done miles in my car (probably lol)

Ed

Reply to
Ed

this would technically be fine! you usually do get RF emissions out of the antenna to a certain extent though (depending on design) though they will be very weak.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

No seems to care but be aware that in the USA the US have different standards for FM transmission than the UK. The UK has a 50us pre-emphasis and the US has 75, bascially it will mean the high frequencies of the music will be inaccuate, most people wont notice this very well. The whole idea is flawed really but it does work to an acceptable standard for most people.

Reply to
Ed

If caught you would be punished in exactly the same way as a pirate radio station. Ok it will never happen. but if you were unlucky its an unlimited fine and/or 5 years in prison. But there is no way you would ever ever be caught and simply owning a transmitter is not illegal.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Nothing to do with the police, never has been. It was encorced by the Radio authority, now they have become Ofcom.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

You couldn't even get a licence if you tried.

Reply to
Ed

No, the harmonic emissions from these transmitters are TOTALLY HORRID. As soon as you put an amp on it youll be in big big trouble. It would be easier to start with a decent osciliator in the first place.

Reply to
Ed