IS200...

Am I reading this right?

IS200 0-60 9.2, top 134, 223gm/km, 28.8 mpg combined?

Even the stupid 1.8 engined E class is faster and more economical than that! (8.8, 147, 195, 34.4)

Or an E46 320i - 7.9, 140,213,31

Or a 318i with the valvetronic engine would have been the sensible choice at

9.0,135,180,38...

Or a C230k - 7.8, 149, 192, 34...

Nice though the stereo and alloys are, why does anyone buy the IS200 with their own money?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Alfa 156 2.0TS

8.5, 133, *cough*207*cough*, 32.

JTS was a bit better, but emissions were still crap (original JTS were a re-worked TSpark)

Reply to
SteveH

If I had had the cash, at the time, I would never have considered a new one with those figures. the 300 is sportier, but who would buy and IS300 when they could have a GS300.

I'm told it is meant to be a small engined smooth cruiser, not as sport saloon. I think they realised later with the 220d, the IS250, and the IS-F that people actually want fast with small and comfy.

Reply to
Elder

BTW, are those figures for the manual 6, or the auto 5?

Reply to
Elder

Clio F1 :-p - 2.0 16v, 197bhp, 0-60 6.4 seconds. Official top speed is

134mph on the original spec gearbox, I have a video of me on (what we thought, but were wrong...) an autobahn doing 137mph GPS checked, which was only like, 137-138 on the speedo to my surprise. It had revs to go as well hehe, we weren't as far as the shift light... I don't know the official figures, but, real life 30-33mpg on a nice run, 23-25mpg if you giving it razz a lot or stuck in town. Oh and 199gm/km - I remember that because I thought "I wonder if that's deliberately one under 200 because that's another tax band...".

Megane R26 -2.0 16v turbo, 227bhp, 229lbs/ft, 32.1mpg combined, 0-60 6.2 seconds, also 199gm/km.

R26.R does 0-60 in 6.0, and is 120kg lighter so probably better on fuel too. But it doesn't have rear seats, or a radio, or glass rear windows, or tyres you can use in the rain...

Reply to
DanB

Manual...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'm sure the piece of paper in the owners pack with the manual said more for combined. Need to dig it out.

Reply to
Elder

Not exactly the latest in engine design - the 1G came out in '79.....

Reply to
john

I couldn't get my Megane much above 30mpg even on a 70mph motorway cruise. Was a 5 door though, maybe the extra weight didn't help...

Reply to
Abo

Well to be fair, I think 32.1mpg would count as 'not much above 30mpg' :-)

Reply to
DanB

Because it adds up to more than the raw data? I thought long and hard about the IS200 as I like the fact that it isn't a BMW, Mercedes Benz or Audi, but the majority of owners appear to love them or report that is just works.

Needs revving hard to perform, though; feels very flat in the lower half of the rev range, but like everything you would get used to it.

Reply to
DervMan

But equally, it is easy to drive in traffic off the boil. Revvy when you need it, quiet and smooth when you don't.

And since that brake is cleared, anything above 30 is 6th gear. Smooth and continuos.

Reply to
Elder