It made it back from Kent!

As some of you may have noticed, I've had a Range Rover in my sig for a few days, well, today I went to actually get it.

87 Rangie auto with LPG, for a reasonable price, huge mileage, no service history, but quite clean with about £400 worth of wheels and tyres on.

Good points - solid as a solid thing [1], drives very well indeed, tidy inside and out [2], solid, clean trim, aircon, properly working auto box, recent steering box, new discs and pads, mega silly expensive Clifford concept something alarm, and a box of new spare LPG sequential injectors and controllers in the boot.

Bad bits - LPG is only half there, just needs converting back to the original single point system. Someone was about to try and multipoint it and lost the bottle methinks. N/S exhaust downpipe is blowing it's nuts off, drivers' electric window doesn't work [3]

So, time for the fuel consumption competition.

How much petrol did a 3.5 EFi auto Rangey that's not been on the road for a couple of years use over the 285 mile trip home? Don't forget to include the exhaust blow in your calculations!!

Nearest answer to the correct one gets to be smug.

[1] apart from the tailgates, obviously [2] apart from the headlining, obviously [3] well, you can see through it, it just doesn't go up and down.
Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:443c15ee$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

Sounds like a good buy. I think I want a Range Rover next.

I'd make a guess at 15.2mpg

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

13.6

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

"Pete M" wrote in message news:443c15ee$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

7
Reply to
Doki

You lucky bastard!!

15.2 is pretty much exactly what I worked it out as.
Reply to
Pete M

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Pete M" wrote in message news:443c15ee$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

How does it compare to your previous one?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

It's not as clean as the black SE I had last year, but it's ok. Drives well really, doesn't appear to have ever had any welding done, or needed - whereas the black SE had had quite a lot of welding done here and there.

Strange really, with buying the 86 one a couple of weeks ago for my mate, and now buying this '87 one the differences between all of them are a lot more noticeable than you'd expect. Silly things like switchgear being different between all of them, transfer box set ups being different, and the way they're all totally different from each other to drive.

The 86 manual EFi seems quicker than the SE and the 87 auto I've got now. The SE handled better than the 86, but wasn't as chuckable as the 87 The 87 is the loudest by far due to the exhaust, but seems to have the least wind noise. The SE averaged 13 mpg, the 87 averaged 15.2 today, and the 86 averaged 22 mpg on a long run last week.

I think I need to service this one tomorrow. 1st job will be the exhaust,

2nd the LPG setup.
Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:443c15ee$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

I'm guessing 100 litres.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

0, You called the AA and had it towed.
Reply to
Depresion

Well I can tell you from the time I was doing my apprenticeship at a Land Rover dealership back in 1987 that on a PDI road test, the Vogue EFi was expected to return 24MPG.

Reply to
Conor

Either you thraped it or its a bit out of tune.

Reply to
Conor

At 56MPH you should be getting 24MPG out of it.

Reply to
Conor

Yebbut who apart from you and your yorkie munching mates drives at 56mph? :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

->> At 56MPH you should be getting 24MPG out of it.

->

->Yebbut who apart from you and your yorkie munching mates drives at 56mph?

->:-)

Those of us with V8's to feed !

Reply to
Geoff

What's the point of having a V8 if you're just going to pootle? :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Willy waving contests.

Reply to
DanTXD

(1) Getting to 56. (2) Listening to the car during the above. (3) Listening to the car anyway.

Reply to
DervMan

24?

Was it towed half way?

Reply to
DervMan

"Pete M" wrote in message news:443c15ee$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org...

Hmmm.

I would have put fourteen, which wasn't too far off.

Okay, 15 mpg on gas (say), call that high 20s, which isn't that different from my Accord...

Reply to
DervMan