Defender - Off Road Stuff for it

Hello,

Ive just bagged myself a 90 90!

Its a 1990, 90 with a 200tdi. Just what i wanted. Anyhow, I want a Steering Guard, and a Snorkel for it.

Can anyone reccomend any good suppliers, or ones to avoid. I quite like the idea of recovery eyes built in to the guard.

Ill get some pics soon.

Mark.

87 RR V8 for sale 90 200tdi 90 (Yay for me)
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Whay hay! :-)

Well done!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Mark Solesbury muttered summat about:

Don't know about suppliers, but the 'safari snorkel' is the mutts nuts IMO. Fitted one to our 90 after using them in Namibia. Easy to fit and very durable, look great too IMO.

As far as steering guards, the only recommendation I would gice is that I wouldn't get one thats too much like a piece of plate, the more grid like with larger holes the better. It needs to be enough to protect what it needs to but no more, cos they are little beauties for holding mud and other abbraisives right next to bits you don't want worn, and can be a pig to clean out if they don't have sufficient holes to get the pressure washer in and the crud out.

Hope that might help.

Another mod I can highly recommend is a full length intercooler, it transforms the engine and isn't too pricey. I would also recommend binning the cat and the intermediate box (if you have one). The extra power and torque you get is quite amazing.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Congrats! I also have a 1990 ninety, hence my user name. Mines a 2.5 n/a though. Steering gaurd on mine is from 'Rebel 4x4' It is the plain one with no writing and no holes in. I find this to be best when trialling in deep, stony or rocky mud, as the one with holes in tend to get caught-up (eg, like dragging a cheese grater over some cheddar compare to a smooth plate). I have been told I am much easier to pull out of the mud than most when I get stuck!

As for snorkels, I have made my own a few times. I subject the vehicle to quite a lot of off-road abuse. Factory made snorkels tend to get damaged and cost a lot to replace every time I go off-road.

I would definitely recommend at least a front diff guard. Mines thr wrap-around type from QT off-road. Did have the 'bowl type' fitted originally that fits over the diff pan itself, but I still managed to crack the edge of the diff pan! QT one helps to slide over stuff as well and has the built-in track rod protection bit.

If your going to play in mud and rocks, I can also recommend 'Grizzly Claw' tyres from Bronco 4x4. They work fantastically, don't cost the earth and look quite mean too! 235/85 R16 will fit with no mods, but you will have to adjust your steering lock stops, unless you buy 30mm spacers (Bronco also supply these, I got them too!)

Good Luck, Stew

Reply to
90ninety

On or around Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:26:32 -0000, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

Cat on a 1990 diesel? I suppose it's possible.

wonder if there's one on the disco, perhaps that's why the minibus outdrags it up to about 50...

book says all diesels have it. Bah. right, out with the angle grinder than and some spare recycled exhaust pipe.

I've no doubt the thing does sod-all of any worth and is probably shagged and costs an arm and a leg to replace.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mindreader.

It has a full length intercooler, that sits infront of the rad. Binning the Cat sounds drastic! Is it still MOT passable?

Mark.

90 90
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury muttered summat about:

No legal requirement for it on diesels in this country. Did it on ours and its gone through happily enough. Its all about reducing back pressure. The more you can reduce it the better the engine will perform (ECU allowing on new ones). The next stage for us is to bin the back box. Will have a straight through pipe, will be under noise regs and will not increase emissions anymore. If you want a better argument for binning the cat, find out the cost to replace it, cos having a broken one is a failure, versus the cost of a convertion pipe from say scorpion (although is easy to make own by cutting ends off cat and welding pipe in between). You wouldn't believe the performance difference it makes. The black smoke when you take off is a bit disconcerting (cat gets rid of a lot of it), but it is legal. You would be amazed how much smoke you can chuck out before it worries the emissions.

Reply to
Graham G

On or around Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:19:08 -0000, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

The back box fell of the disco 300 TDi here and all I did was attach a bit of pipe to make a new tailpipe. no audible difference... Mind, it's not a restrictive box, I don't think.

yeah. see plenty like it on the road - I prefer to aim for "only smokes a little bit under full load" meself, I reckon it's a bit antisocial to belch black smoke out all the time.

But next time it's a nice day I'll have a look at binning the cat on the disco - I bet it's well clogged - the flexi thing on the front pipe doesn't look all that clever either, so maybe a different, cat-free, front pipe is in order.

coo:

has online version of the bosal exhaust catalogue.

The pictures for the 200-type engine (I assume - up to chassis number MA80000-odd) seem to show a non-cat system but the front pipe looks different, so I assume it won't fit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I thought that with turbo engines having the turbo there does most of the exhaust noise damping and the exhaust/silencers dont do a lot?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods muttered summat about:

Thats about the size of it, hence getting rid of them.

Reply to
Graham G

Austin Shackles muttered summat about:

They don't even list the system that was in our 90!

Reply to
Graham G

I've got a bit confused about which vehicle we're on about now, but if its a Discovery 300Tdi just replace the whole exhaust with the non-CAT version, job done. Check the legality first though with an MOT station.

Cock-ups aside, all the Defender exhausts are on the site below.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:29:04 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

the one I'm looking at is. The bosal book lists 2, one with cat and one without, but the downpipe looked a different shape.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:29:04 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

You got a price for a 300 TDi noncat disco front pipe, by any chance?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

ESR2740 Down Pipe - 300 Tdi Disco Auto/RRC Non-CAT £47.00 inc VAT

It you are deleting a CAT you will need the intermediate/tail pipe as well.

ESR2391 Disco Intermediate/Tail Exhaust From MA 081992 - Non CAT £50.00 inc VAT

There's a tad of confusion with these as the cast part from the turbo to the downpipe is called "The Downpipe" in the book, and the "real" downpipe is called the intermediate pipe.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd