Mk1 Fiesta Gearbox

I've also posted this in the kit-car group but thought i may get a quicker response from here ..... hope no-one minds

Anyway, the kit car we have has a 1100cc MK1 Fiesta engine (1982) with a 4 speed gearbox. What we're wanting is a 5 speed gearbox to fit to it.

So, has anyone have any idea which gearbox we could use, and from which car? I assume you can fit other Ford gearboxes to these engines?

TIA

Oh and the car can be seen in the u.r.c.m gallery ....

Cheers

Reply to
frank

You can use virtually any FWD 5 speed from the 80's, they'll all fit just bolt-on. The same gearbox was also used in the 90's, but sometime in the early 90's Ford started to use an improved version of the B5 gearbox and I think that would make a bit more work to do to fit. But as long as you stick in the 80's, you'll be just fine.

I don't think you have those - or have even heard about :-) - Brazilian made Escorts from 83-85 with Renault 1.3 & 1.6 engines that use another style of gearbox, so I won't warn you about those :-)

But another thing you have to notice when changin from 4spd to 5spd, is the gear linkage. If you are using the original mk1 4spd linkage, you should change it to 5spd version from mk2 because the reverse gear is in different position.

Hope you understood my languge :-)

Hermann Antichrist

- i_do_have_a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

-

Christian Rethmann

: : I don't think you have those - or have even heard about :-) - : Brazilian made Escorts from 83-85 with Renault 1.3 & 1.6 engines that : use another style of gearbox, so I won't warn you about those :-)

I'll pretend I never read that bit ;)

: But another thing you have to notice when changin from 4spd to 5spd, : is the gear linkage. If you are using the original mk1 4spd linkage, : you should change it to 5spd version from mk2 because the reverse gear : is in different position.

Thanks for this, very helpful. I had hoped they were all pretty much interchangable, I'll be having a proper look at the car over the weekend and see where we go from there.

Cheers mate :)

Reply to
frank