keeps stalling! HELP

any ideas on whats up with my mk1 anyone? when warmed up the car ticks over at around 800rpm but recently after it's warmed up it's ticked over at 800rpm then it starts to drop and become uneven till eventually it goes below 500rpm and stalls.

someone mentioned to me that it could be the auto choke but can't see why this would make it tick over like that?

Reply to
Vamp

On Ford Kas this is generally the idle control valve. The solution is a new one or liberal application of carb cleaner.

Reply to
Doki

over at around 800rpm but

drop and become uneven

this would make it tick

Your MK1 what ? MR2 iirc ?

It's fuel injected, so doesn't have a choke. Best to find a verifiable expert on your particular injection system who can do a correct diagnosis first time and repalce the missing part. It could be any one of a number of things.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

around 800rpm but

drop and become uneven

would make it tick

You may have an idle adjustment screw some where that has slipped out of whack, or possibly a fault with one of the sensors that report to the ECU though that normally ups the tickover.

Reply to
Depresion

In article , blank@128.0.0.1 spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Sounds right. Even sometimes dirty conections on the Lambda sensor can do that, because it reads the gasses and passes wrong information.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

ah cheers people i think it's me idle valve or a sensor, will check tomz...

Reply to
Vamp

Lambda doesn't start operating till the car is hot...

Reply to
Nom

Hmm, true. Probabley either the cold start valve (whatever form it has) or air metering then.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In news:40893fe5$0$10699$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com, Vamp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Clean out the jets in the carb.

My Capri did this this afternoon and all I did was clean out the jets, probably because I forgot how inaccurate Capri fuel gauges are and sucked through a load of s**te from the bottom of the tank..

Ah, the joys of ancient engineering. 5 minutes with a screwdriver and job done..

Reply to
Pete M

In news:ZQakc.343$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oh.. you use that newfangled Injection stuff don't ya? You had me confuddled with mentions of Auto Chokes....

Reply to
Pete M

Until the sensor is, you mean. I don't know if the MR2 has a heated sensor, but our Ka does.

Reply to
DervMan