Kumho KU-31

Kumho KU 31 tyres.

I need some 245, and some 255 x 50 x 18 rubber.

It seems that these are both available in both sizes and get good reviews on various forums but are korean. And cheapish.

Anyone actually tried these that has an opinion?

They are going on a Dodge Caravan SXT 3.8 Auto. (think Chrysler grand voyager) with a set of 18 x 9j rims...

What about the runflat versions?

Reply to
Burgerman

I had a set of Kumho's in 205/45/16 fitment on the 405, although I'm not sure of the model name, they were V rated though. They were actually pretty good, gripped well in the wet and dry and lasted ok (8,000 miles, about the norm for me and fronts heh - aside from some Goodyear F1s that died in 5k, that was dissappointing).

Reply to
Iridium

wouldnt touch em with yours m8,

go for a set of goodyear grandtreks :) H/T's much better tyre, in the same price bracket

Reply to
Rob

ignore my tired rantings,

meant to advise on goodyear wranglers not the grand treks which from dunlop although they aint too bad :)

Reply to
Rob

Neither of which are available in 145 / 155 x 50 x 18??????

Reply to
Burgerman

I had a set on the Ford Exploder for a time, worst tyres I've had in winter. Currently I've got Goodyear AT summer tyres on it and I was thinking of getting Nokian for the rest of the winter.

The Kumhos turned every trip on a roundabout in damp weather into a skid pan training session.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Are they for your chair or are you making an episode of "Pimp my 2CV"

Reply to
Elder

No for my new Dodge van!

Reply to
Burgerman

Yes well nothing grips well on salt/cold/greasy/wet town roundabouts!

I am more concerned about feel, wear, noise, ride (should be ok with 50 series) etc... Actually balance too. Some tyres seem to always need rebalancing.

Reply to
Burgerman

I'm not kidding, they are substantially worse for grip than just about anything else I've tried. It's not just my opinion:

OTOH you seem to be stuffed because the only ones I can find are the Kumhos and Pirellis at an amusing £212 each.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Now go back and re-read the size you typed in this bit of the thread :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Errr yep...

OK 245 or 255 50 18...

Ooops!

Reply to
Burgerman

Mmmm. 200 quid a corner. Well thats the deciding factor I think!

Reply to
Burgerman

145/50x18? Awfully skinny for such a heavy motor, you going for the stretched euro look?
Reply to
Elder

To be fair to the Kumho's they are supposed to be a high performance summer only tyre, the Kumho 712's I had were decent quality tyres, they wore evenly and lasted OK for their grip level. I quite fancy some KU15's for the RS when the michelins wear out, unless the V70A's get a bit cheaper :-)

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt

You're missing the point. There's "not gripping well" and "being Bambi," some tyres are plain awful in colder weather.

We'd need to have used that size, or very close therein, on a similar sized vehicle. Kumho have a respectable reputation as a whole, but of all of the comments I've read in this thread, Steve Firths appears the most relevant: bad in winter.

Reply to
DervMan

Go for 245/55 all round and you can choose from most major manufacturers.

Even better, get yourself over to

and have 8 of your chosen rubber slung in the container before it leaves.

Reply to
Grant

Cant no clearance.

Already 52mm bigger than the stock 215 65 16 rubber... Dont want to go to 45s because its a 2 ton vehicle and it needs some sidewall.

Reply to
Burgerman

Couldn't you just use 245/50 all round? That way you could get Bridgestones for the same price as the Kumho's or slightly more for Pirelli P Zero's.

Reply to
Homer

It would just be wrong! The rear wheel arches ar "bigger" Anyway I tried the bridgstones on my other van and they are a bit noisy! Made horrible drumming noises on the concrete M180 I drive on every day. The Avon zz3 I fitted in place of them was lovely and smooth and quiet in comparison. I thought the wheel bearings were going! Anyway I have 8.5 rims for the front and 9 for the rear. Anyway I found the Ku for 87 quid! The Assmetric Prellis are 200 plus! Although they do look good! Shame there are only about 3 manufacturers doing this size...

Reply to
Burgerman