lexus LS?

got a lexus LS 400 auto UK car at work, only want £2k for it had a quick call to admiral for a quote and with my current points it's only £750 FC and it's £900 if i get another 6 points and a 28 or 56day ban, so what they like? this has a tad over £100k on the clock but on a 4 litre engine that aint much us it!

Reply to
Vamp

Hello,

Very very thirsty and hard to park. More like driving the QE2, good in a straight line but rubbish around bends. Loads of power but no faster than a new diesel focus! Good for posing in as a wannabe gangster/dealer, very comfortable and almost silent, but a motorway cruiser. With 100,000 miles I wouldn't be too concerned if the full service history is available, but it's all the other bits that are about to fail that will shock you. they are a very expensive car to get parts for. Expect about 18mpg in the town if you drive nicely, about 12mpg if you stick your foot down and only about 30mpg over a very long run at constant speed.

Unless you can afford to run the car, I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Rob

Oh dear - vamp - it'll do 150 ish. You know what that means.

Other than that, I quite like them for the silence - very very quiet and smooth. This was the car that made Lexus big in the US and is tuned more for their market than ours. I'd have one, but watch for gold badges....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

the lexus 4.0 is supposedly a great great engine, its the tuners choice in the states I believe, with twin turbo variants producing staggering performance figures.

Reply to
Theo

well my dad did say to get something more sensible than an MR2 turbo. naturally i thought 4 litre V8? :) if it turned out to be a really nice motor i may even be tempted to sell the MR2! but i'm gonna see if i can have both. i just love the look of the thing it's massive!

Reply to
Vamp

You should be saving for the fine you are about to have to pay mate. Or invest in a bloody good lawyer.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You should never have a flat phone battery again....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've had a brief drive in one, and been driven in one for a good run (hull - manchester - hull). Easily as good a motorway car as any contemporary BMW or Merc. And it has just about everything as standard, and they very rarely break.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Wishful thinking, £1500 fine, 6 points, 12 months ban and re-sit test is my prediction.

Reply to
Kevin

Never understood this, if speed kills, then someone who's had a ban for speeding and is on 9-11 points is gonna drive slower therefore be a lower risk.. so why the 150quid extra?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
[Lexus LS400]

Better IMO, and also better than the Jaguar as far as striaght line cruising is concerned. The LS400 copied all the best bits from Jag/BMW/Merc and did so successfully with the smooth ride and powertrain from the Jag with the build quality to frighten BMW and Merc.

It falls down on looks, those gold badges, the horrid colours, the vile looks and the puke-inducing interiors which rival the very worst E-class taxis.

But as a vehicle for long journeys it's fard to beat, especially since you can't see the outside from inside.

But Vamp, stop kidding yourself. You have it seems 6 points already, the magistrates will not go easy on you over your latest escapade. You

*will* need all th emoney you can scrape together for the fine, a lawyer and to pay for taxi and bus fares.
Reply to
Steve Firth

In news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk, Tim S Kemp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Because he's already on six points and that didn't teach him?

Then again, didn't teach me either when I was his age..

Reply to
Pete M

Yep he's heading for either a driving ban, or getting off on some technicality (smart lawyer required - risk of big bill if you lose).

As for the Lexus - Gold badges were an option, a chrome badged car in silver, black or dark blue is the way to go. Gold on black is for dealers, Gold on white for chavs. Grey leather isn't clever but the ivory interiors are very nice. If it is gold badged you can always get them replaced.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

As driving at 85mph on a clear motorway can now land you with convictions it's time points on licence for summary offences where not declarable for insurance purposes.

Since when did failure to disclose, speeding, driving / MOT offences etc increase the risk of accident, fire or theft. In fact the whole insurance industry is discriminatory - the poorer you are the more you pay (based on location).

Anyone got stats on the average premiums / average claims? I have a feeling we're all getting fleeced!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yep, I'm somewhat involved with the insurance industry - average insurance company pays out approximately £0.99 in claims, for every £1 they take in premiums.

Those who think they're raking in vast profits, are sadly very wrong - the number of ambulance chasers on the road today really does mean our insurance costs as much as we pay :(

Reply to
Nom

Nom Wrote

every =A31 they take in premiums.

Ah yes the poor, poor buggers. What they forget to add into that equation is the vast amount of money they make by investing the money they get in premiums, before paying it out in claims.

Reply to
fishman

What does that have to do with anything ? They make their profits, by investing your premium until the time comes to pay it out. I don't see anything wrong with that ? They have to make money somehow, otherwise they wouldn't exist. Would you rather they didn't invest it, and their profits came from the doubling of your insurance-premium instead ?

Reply to
Nom

In the UK, you have to be important, or famous to contest a speeding ticket and win.

Normal blokes like us have to just "take it like a man" which is a similar phrase to "assume the position".

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Not forgetting that we have a Nom statistic there, which automatically qualifies it as utter, utter bullshit.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

So the companies are making 1% gross margin? I can't see how that works as a business model - the figures must be skewed to try and drum up support. Even a huge turnover business has difficulties at 6% or lower - 20-25% gross margin is a safe business model.

How do they pay their staff / overheads?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp