Lorry Drivers Please Service Your Vehicles!

That comes under the heading of "naming the garage", i.e. own names one's own.

Reply to
Brimstone

Which are HGVs used for the commercial carriage of goods.

and you are confident. In any case, longer periods are allowed.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

(etc) Yes, but not required to be contracted out to a fitter who holds relevant qualifications, and not required to be every 6/12 weeks. And agricultural tractor drivers can do what they like.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Lorries don't harvest the crops but they transport the harvested crops to where they need to go. Some crops need to be transported quickly so the lorries collect the crops from the nearest convenient point to the harvesting and transport to the destination.

Reply to
David Billington

Already been answered. They have to demonstrate they have the facilities and processes in place.

Reply to
Conor

Where the f*ck do you think the produce from a 50 acre field goes?

Its not a one way system, nor is it bad planning. You don't know the area obviously.

Reply to
Conor

And? What the f*ck do you think we were talking about?

Only by consent. You don't get to decide.

Reply to
Conor

"Conor" wrote >> If that's true, how about the huge operators who have their own

Yep, they can simply dfo it in-house although the TC would have to be satisfied that the facilities are adequate. Unless the Law has changed, a large operator can also self-insure.

Vince

Reply to
Knight of the Road

*I* know. I'm pointing out the huge nonsense built-in.

It's like asking drug companies to self-assert that their products are safe.

Reply to
vulgarandmischevious

You think there's a huge nonsense because you've no direct experience.

Take one firm I worked at with its own in house maintenance.

You find a defect. You fill in the defect book which is kept in the wagon (triple copies). You tear off the top copy and it goes to the workshop. The workshop complete the repair, amend the second copy and put that with the vehicle record. The third copy stays in the defect book for VOSA inspection at a roadside check. THIS HAPPENS EVEN FOR A BLOWN BULB.

Anyone from VOSA at any time can go to the workshop, give the workshop manager a registration and the workshop manager produce the full detailed maintenance and inspection records for that vehicle.

If VOSA thinks a company isn't towing the line, usually due to a record of faults found at roadside checks or in MOTs, they will then go in and inspect the service records and if they're not satisfactory, specify what is required and monitor it.

Reply to
Conor

How many more times do we have to go through this? I hold a C+E. I worked for three years as a driver, on domestic and international work. I worked in the transport office as the Operations Manager. I know plenty, you self-important arse.

Reply to
vulgarandmischevious

Why do all lorry drivers act as if they are brain-dead?

Reply to
Ray Shafranski

Why do most lorry drivers drive like they're brain-dead?

Reply to
Ray Shafranski

I think you'll find their driving is as a result of having to compensate for car drivers.

If HGV drivers are so bad, how come they have the lowest accident rate of any motorised road user group?

Reply to
Conor

"Ray Shafranski" wrote

Yes, you said that earlier, do you have memory problems?

Vince

Reply to
Knight of the Road

which by and large they do with sampling undertaken by independent labs at various intervals ...

just like MoT tests which for vans over 3.5 t , some minbuses and any LGV /PCV is done at a VOSA managed testing station

Reply to
Martyn H

Like any other subset of the population, some are.

Massive generalization, which does nothing but further turn people against you and the professional driving community. You would do yourself a great service if you could try to avoid alienating others; they will be more inclined to listen to you.

This is a very fair point.

Reply to
vulgarandmischevious

They don't, van drivers do.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

No, only in the minds of people like you. The press has already done a great assassination job to the point that no matter what we do, it has no effect.

You've not listened to a word that the three of us have said! You made your mind up as soon as you saw the thread title.

Reply to
Conor