Wish me luck

Firstly because I have bought a French hot hatch (of sorts) - a Citroen Xsara VTS. Quite pokey, handles nicely and in a fetching shade of yellow.

Secondly because tomorrow I leave for a trip in the TVR to find some nice driving roads round our beloved country. Plan is to hop into Wales along the motorways to visit a friend near Newport. Then tomorrow midday-ish hop across the Brecon Beacons to pick up the A470 and follow that through the mountains/hills through Snowdonia to where we staying. Spend a few nights there, find a quiet time to do the Evo Triangle (we're staying a few miles from it) then shoot East to the Peaks where we'll be for 4 days. Got Buxton to Macclesfield (and back) planned for one evening. Snake pass one day whilst we're out and about, and also Winnatts Pass, and a few other ones courtesy of Mr Firth. Then it's back down South via Davenport for a quick stopover, but probably not much to see there! Just hope the TVR makes it.....

Fingers crossed!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've done the A470 in its entirety in an articulated lorry. Very nice. May I suggest a little 10 mile detour? When you get to the point you turn right towards Dolgellau, turn left instead onto the A487 then onto the B4405 at Minffordd. A couple of miles down the B4405 (mountain pass type road) , there's a body of water called Tal-Y-Lin with a pub at the far end. The view from the pub end is to die for. I've nighted out there a couple of times when I used to do a delivery in Dolgellau and then Tywyn which is on the coast at the end of the B4405.

Reply to
Conor

It has lots of potential, but you'll get a lot of dawdlers, and lots happy to sit behind them. I had to find a straight long enough to get past 3 a few weeks ago, the front one of which was doing 28-35 in NSL.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Sounds like a good place to stop before getting to the B&B. Consider it visited :)

Cheers buddy!

Carl Gibbs

Yeah I know we're gonna get that all week, which is one of the reasons we're going tomorrow and not Saturday. Hopefully it won't be quite as bad. On the plus side we'll be in a good car for overtaking!!

Carl Gibbs

Have Fun...

Actually sounds like a cool road trip. Good luck with the Trevor.

Reply to
Elder

Spooky. Me & er did almost exactly that on the way back from Pembrokeshire a few days ago, and I was about to suggest it as an alternative to the frustratingly packed A-roads.

Reply to
andrewkirby

The Trevor went very well indeed. An awesome time was had by all!

900 miles, £230 of fuel and 24mpg. Not too shabby

Carl Gibbs

I've been doing a little running back and forward to mid wales myself. Down to Rhayeder and back a couple of times.

Reply to
Elder

So, did you get caught by dawdlers or just power past them?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

We were quite lucky for the most part, but if we did get caught I either got past them pretty quickly or if it was particularly twisty/fun road I'd just pull over for a bit and have have a drink/take in the scenery.

Definitely enjoyed the Welsh roads more than the Peaks. Too many 50 limits to apparently keep all the bikers alive, plus the weather wasn't quite so good which meant I had to watch my right foot anyway!

:)

Carl Gibbs

Last time I was up that way it seemed like everywhere was 50 limited. Could have been fun otherwise.

Reply to
Chris Bartram