Love it or hate it

Just been offered a car which you either love or hate.

I won't say which camp I'm in.

Here's the spec. With the name of the car left out - almost...

3.5L Rover Vitesse spec V8 running on twin SUs (that's not the car, just the engine). Electric Fuel Pump & Filter King Rimmer Bros Steel Tubular Manifolds Rimmer Bros Stainless Steel Single Box Exhaust Minilite Type 13x7 wheels Uprated Front Calipers and Discs Lowered & Steering Rack Repositioned Works Type Front Splitter TR8 Full Decals Retrimmed Interior and Carpets The box seems to be reconned and the gearchange feels good.

Will need sills.

Would you / wouldn't you...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

TR8 with rotten sills?

Hmmm, probably, but only if *very* cheap.

Reply to
SteveH

Probably a TR7 with a V8 conversion I reckon

Ditto. A mate has one (although I think it's back to 4 cylinders now) and it does look a lot of fun. And sounds pretty amazing. It just ugly as hell. My sort of car ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Just been checking out the list of 'places to look' on these for tinworm.

It doesn't give me a warm glow of anticipation. For that reason, I suspect I'll pass.

My tinworm removal skills are not anywhere near good enough or my facilities at all suitable. Best if I stick with the Sylva I reckon.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd have one. How much have they offered you to trailer it away?

Reply to
Elder

Dunno what they mean by that - it's the injection that really makes a Vitesse engine.

IIRC, TR7s aren't the easiest of cars to fix bodywork. But a decent one is a very pleasant thing to drive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hard top of soft top?

Reply to
Abo

Fairy nuff.

I am sub novice level on things like sill repairs.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Nice.

Tacky.

Not so nice.

Probably, but then I'm a glutton for punishment.

How much?

David

Reply to
David Lane

The good side of a grand. The wrong side of a monkey

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

The engine and mods are probably worth that. IMO it depends how much work it'll take to get it back on the road again & MOT'd.

David

Reply to
David Lane

Nope. After meddling with bodywork on my Golf (and stripping another), I'd never buy a car with any rust again. And bear in mind that these were both cars that looked alright for their age. If you want it all gone, it's a pain in the arse. OTOH if you're going to run it as a competition car and finish isn't too important, you might get away with it without pulling your hair out. But my experience is that if there's a bit of rust you can see, there are at least 2 bits you can't somewhere else...

Reply to
Doki

Bingo. Especially in old british cars.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Then you better get used to a new car all the time then.

Reply to
Elder

Plenty of still mint MK2s around. I'd never buy anything modern that wasn't galvanised (or not made of steel). Ever. Even my bird's 95M 106 was galvanised FFS. The only way I'd be interested in something rusty is as a project car, knowing I'd have to spend lots of time and £ to sort it.

Reply to
Doki

Why? My 405 was abused, had a dodgy accident repair, was 11 years old and

100k miles when I got rid of it and it didn't have even the slightest hint of rust anywhere.
Reply to
Iridium

Did you look underneith at the suspension parts and carriers? It might not have had body shell rust, but somewhere something would have had some rust on it. And that can be sometimes where it is worse.

Reply to
Elder

I stood underneath it when it was on the ramps at my local garage if that helps. It didn't show any rust anywhere, and I saw it about 6 weeks ago so it hasn't failed on MOT on it yet, and it's still not showing any.

Reply to
Iridium

Fair play then. Normally things like suspension arms aren't galvanised as they tend to get swapped with bushes anyway. So when they get chipped they surface rust. Even cars with a good oily coating end up with surface rust.

Reply to
Elder

Couldn't said it better, only I would have mentioned 3 bits.

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor