micra

My house is for sale - 59,950 - Hull is mega cheap...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You say that like its a bad thing! Easy pickin's :-D

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 ;)1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

You must have either borrowed shitloads of money or dropped out of uni then. The student loans co takes a minimal amount from my wage packet (about £40 i think), the overdraft is still interest free and most of my remaining CC is getting transferred to an iterest free one whilst i repay it.

Nope. At work there is a bar that is priced roughly the same as my SU. Mind you wouldnt want to drink in there too often :)

Yep, but so does income

Only 5 miles. Choose a house in the right place and you dont have to.

freelancing.

I have no want to

As above, but it doesnt anyway

Some do, some dont. I still see my old school mates, but now i live near new mates.

Thats wwhats weekend are for. Spent the whole of my last weekend doing my head gasket and save a few hundred quid, and gained plenty of satisfaction. Even tuaght her inside about how an engine works.

Luckily i blagged some clothes from work, but if didnt then it would be off to some cheapo store to get the cheapest, vaguely smart looking clothes i could find.

Why? Only if you want to get completely rat-arsed, and i only wanna do that at weekends anyway becuase then when things get interesting.

Been there done that, moved backed with parents for a few months, realised the error of my ways and now share with another couple that we are good mates with. Now have a 4 bedroom house with double garage and swimming pool for less than we were paying on our own!

But the first few years are always the worst. In time you'll be looking back and thinking about how shit, cheap and dirty your life was.

LOL!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Chet" wrote

You've been spending much too much time round Ronny

Reply to
fishman

It's the Audi :)

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 ;)1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

Micra's can be cool look at Ed's.

And instead of moaning about money either find more work or live stress free without much disposable income.

I was on a sweet money, had a nice house, flash cars a fit missus. In the space of 3 weeks I went from all of that to just having the T16, a rented flat and being single with f*ok all cash (£11.70 in the bank at one point). After working 60 - 70 hour weeks for the last fair few months doing 3 jobs (hence why I've not been posting much ;-)) I'm back in a position to acquire another TVR, buy a place to live, have the chance to go into a completely different (but bloody cool) working environment and have pulled some top totty who hopefully isn't a slack bitch like my ex (not that I'm bitter ;-)).

End of the day Dan's missing some bits (I need to keep my 40 a day Benson habit going) so fair play if he's got himself a new motor to enjoy.

If your in the right job you'll know it so work at it, then in 5 years you might be where you want to be with a grand a month to play with, if your very very lucky. If not then consider looking for something else. Put it this way some of the wealthiest and happiest people I know have 10 days holiday a year and work 9am - 9pm if not more.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Only mugs rent. Buy a house, and take in lodgers, let them pay your mortgage.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not really, it's going through a bit of a boom at the moment. Wilmslow's nowhere near as bad as you and fishman are making out, it's cheap compared to Hampshire. And the big advantage is that once you buy you're going to make money in the medium term.

Gatley used to be fairly decent and relatively cheap, it suffers from the M20 effect, but it's *just* on the right side of the border and has a different postcode. But you do have the problem that the scrotes can walk from their estate to your house.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, but by North of England standards Wilmslow is, and has been for quite a long time, very expensive

Anywhere closer to Manc. town centre is going to be significantly cheaper, but the associated risk of it being a dodgy area also increases.

To be honest, I'd probably look towards the eastern side of Manc and live with the commuting.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmmmm...

Sackville Street more to your taste then?

Reply to
Steve Firth

He earns 'just over £20k' p.a., which means he can get a mortgage for around £75k tops, and that only if he can stump up the 10% deposit. To take in lodgers needs a 3-bed. Are there 3-beds in that area for 75k? I would be surprised.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

No, cos he's taking in lodgers. If you put a good business case accross, the bank will lend you a *lot* more.

Reply to
Nom

I agree with the rest of your post Carl, but that bit's just silly.

Once you're working 9 till 5, the *last* thing you want to be doing with your only free-time (ie, the weekend) is pissing about on the floor fixing cars ! That's what garages are for !

In any case - my car gets me to work and back. If it broke on Monday morning, I'd be totally screwed if I had to wait till the weekend to get it fixed :)

Reply to
Nom

Yeah, I was minted as a student.

There were bugger-all rent and living costs - my Summer job *easily* covered both, with some to spare.

So my £1500-a-year student loan just sat in the bank doing nothing - until my 3rd year when I spent most of it on a car :)

In Cheshire, that's only slightly more than nothing :)

If you're struggling, then either get a better job, or move house - Chesire certainly isn't one of the UK's cheaper areas ! Look at the East coast - North of Grimsby, South of Scotland.

Reply to
Nom

"**-**" wrote

Reply to
fishman

"fishman" wrote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Read 18 year old micra!

Reply to
fishman

I love driving around affluent areas, it really gives me something to just think "wow" at, and something to aspire to in terms of a house/car I may one day be able to afford. I do multi-drop work around Twyford (Berkshire) and surrounding areas (RG10 postcode) and some of the places I deliver to are just awe-inspiringly stunning. Quite often the people living in them are surprisingly down to earth (it's good to see nice people having done well for themselves rather than just stuck up snobs) as well. Anyway, going around places like this gives me something to aspire to, and besides that, it's just lovely surroundings to work in - virtually no traffic, no stress, nice and easy, and bloody good money. I used to do same-day courier work in London and for a lot of places it was quite similar - small production companies working in really nice converted old buildings, rather than the soulless office blocks you get in your average town - also did some multi-drop work around the nice bits of W/SW/NW London - I'm talking Hampstead Garden Suburb, Kensington/Chelsea/Fulham, and like I say it gives me more of an impetus to actually better myself and make something of my life (I've got absolutely shitloads of ideas, it's just getting my act together to do some of them).

Anyway, that's my little bit of mumbling over...... two hours of lunch break left to kill, tough life, innit? :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

you never siad one year old before. that makes a difference. It might be=20 a small car, but it is a nice near new, cool small car. Not fast maybe,=20 but ditinctive and well eqiupped. =20

Them's the breaks for having countryside not obscured by city smoke all=20 the time. I imagine the more rural towns in Worcestershire are equally=20 expensive as Wilmslow. =20

Hmm, are you in a time warp? =A321k giving you any car you want, and a=20

1968 micra being a year old?

BTW, you don't work in the insurance/assurance industry do you?

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

Do you know, you can buy reasonable quality far lasting jeans for =A34 and= =20 pretty heavy quaility T shirts for =A32 at tesco these days, even trousers= =20 and shirts are that much dearer, and they will look tidy. Not for as=20 long maybe as more expensive stuff, but they can save you a substantial=20 ammount of money while getting yourself setup in work and home. Just=20 avoid labels.

Even if you need more expensive clothes, get the cheap jeans and T's for=20 at home, and spend the difference on good work clothes.

And get a Matalan membership, =A31 gets you a card. They have suits that=20 look good, and wear OK, from about =A350, I have one that only gets worn=20 on special occasions, but 5 years old it looks like new. If you needed=20 to wear it every day it would last 6months to a year before looking=20 shabby, unless dry cleaned and pressed regularly, but that means you=20 could have a fresh suit twice a year, for =A3100. again, ignore lables,=20 examine the fabric and sticthing, does it look and feel solid, does it=20 fit well, if yes to all above wear it until worn, and replace it. you=20 still save money. just buy decent shoes and you can't go wrong.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

"MeatballTurbo" wrote

No I meant 18 year old, typo - i replied to my own post to correct it.

Not at all in the financial industry whatsoever! I'm one of very few people who work here who isn't a spiv and walks around in a full length wool and cashmere coat.

Reply to
fishman