More modding :O

Off topic, I know.
Just picked up the Cinq. - aside from a couple of jobs which needed doing (engine mount and front drop links), I've had some 'Eibach Magic
Camber Bolts' fitted.
These have dialled in 1.75 degrees of negative camber, to help cut outside edge tyre wear on the track.
Also had a full alignment check etc. done.
What an amazing transformation. It no longer rattles and clunks over every bump, the turn in is sharper and it tracks absolutely arrow straight.
Castle Combe in a few weeks will be huge fun.
--
SteveH

On 12/11/2010 17:25, SteveH wrote:

You do sound a bit like a Russ Andrews testimonial :-)
Presumably the rattle/clunkage removal is replacement of knackered bits rather than magic bolts? Sounds sensible though.

He's the bloke who writes about directionally aligned magic audio cables isn't he?

Erm, yes, the front end suspension etc was a bit knackered - aside from the new springs and shocks.
Judging by the state of the wheels that came with it, I reckon it hasn't been properly aligned for many years.....
The car was a total shed when I got it, but it was cheap, and now drives very well.
--
SteveH

On 12/11/2010 17:53, SteveH wrote:

That's the one. Sample blurb from one of their power cables : "there was a huge step up in performance: there was so much more expression in singers voices, less glare and better dynamics. It was as if youd taken a step closer to the performance". A kettle lead - 700 quid to you, sir.

He's not quite as mad as Peter Belt.
"All Compact Discs should have a drop of the Special One Drop Liquid applied to both sides and spread across the surface using a finger tip. The surface can be dried with a cloth or a paper tissue. Vinyl records should have a drop of the Liquid applied to the particular area on the record which has the run off groove on both sides of the disc. The outside faces of the disc sleeve or disc housing should also be treated."
http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/odl/One_Drop_Liquid.html
Mind you the Russ Andrews "We've been working for sometime to produce a better-sounding 13A fuse" is amusing in its own way.
On 13/11/2010 01:20, Steve Firth wrote:

If you took the trouble to read further, you would find that this treatment is necessary because spinning discs "create gravitational anomalies". Fortunately these anomalies can be resolved by the proper application of "Quantum rainbow foil", held in place with "Special quantum cream" - yours for the unbelievably reasonable price of 250/50ml and suitable for application to loudspeaker cones, aerosol cans, furniture and mains plugs....
Seriously - W.T.F?

At one level, he's mad at another it's a cynical attempt to separate the stupid from their money. He seems to have bagged several, including reviewers for HiFi magazines which, IMO, puts their opinions on other things in context.
If you look around you will find that he sells pens for colouring in the edges of CDs but these aren't green, no they are red, purple and black. And they look just like the ones sold in WH Smith for 1 being sold at silly.
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:39:27 +0000, Steve Firth boggled us with:

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/chunky/chunky.html
Do people actually believe this twaddle? It sounds like something some stoned hippy dude would come out with at one of those outdoor craft fair type events to get you to buy something off his stall.
--
Mike P

Oh yes, for example:
Peter Turner, Hi Fi Review, November 1990:
I have been spending many weeks, off and on, on just about the most subjective pursuit of improvement one can find: the use of the various treatments provided by Peter W. Belt. There can be no need for me to remind you that this extraordinary man (I mean to say, if, as some contend, the whole Belt business is a con-trick, the man who brought it off is of no common stature) has set the audio world on its head by asserting the existence of effects within the environment which affect us in a way as to hamper our ability to hear the sound which is being produced by our systems. These effects, according to Belt, can be overcome by various techniques, thus enabling us to appreciate the sound which is always present in reality, but as it were kept away from us by forces which inhibit our aural responses... My conclusion is that belting does indeed produce an effect; that that effect can be profound; and that it can equal or exceed that produced by costly upgrades.

Yup, but it fools many. The fact that several HiFi reviewers have fallen for it tells me a lot about the twaddle that they write.
On Nov 13, 10:04pm, % snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Yes, I've often felt an effect after being belted. I'm crying, but I'm not sure if the tears are of mirth or sadness. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do a Trading Standards on this bollocks?
On 13/11/2010 22:04, Steve Firth wrote:

Ben Goldacre has a good take on it all:
http://www.badscience.net/category/hi-fi /
On 13/11/2010 11:39, Steve Firth wrote:

I realised, years back, whilst reading an article about digital /optical/ interconnects in which the reviewer praised the improved bass response of one (particularly expensive) cable, that I could become a wealthy man if I wasn't burdened by a sense of morality by praying on that strange breed of wealthily gullible Hi-Fi entusiast.
I also decided that Hi-Fi reviewers were either utter idiots or pure evil and either way should be avoided...
On 13/11/10 01:20, Steve Firth wrote:

Did he do this little magical foil stickers as well?

Site Timeline