More Tales Of Inept Spannerage..

Spent this afternoon faffing about with the R30. I've finally put the injection system back together, but haven't gone to start it yet as the rest of the fuel system is absolutely minging with stale fuel.

Of course, after rebuilding it I thought I'd turn it over by jumping it off the Rangie, but I've not used that since September so that had a flat battery as well. A mate popped round with one of those "RAC Jump Start" packs that Halfords should really put in Christmas Crackers - and that, naturally, made f*ck all difference so I've ended up putting the Rangie battery, the Renault battery and the Jump Start pack battery on charge for the night.

Now, I doubt many of the regulars in 'ere have spent any time trying to reanimate a car that hasn't been run properly for 20 years, but I've read on a forum somewhere or other that adding ATF to the fuel in the tank will shift the varnish and is sort of high octaneish so shouldn't f*ck the engine up too much. I really can't be arsed dropping the fuel tank to drain it so I might give it a go for a laugh. Anyone got any better suggestions? I think it's beyond a shot of Redex :-D

Reply to
Pete M

ATF's got soap in it for cleaning the inside of gearboxes hasn't it? I'd be fairly sure that a Diesel engine wouldn't mind a glug or 2 of it, I've even heard it recommended, but I'd never heard of running it through a petrol engine.

Bah, it's only French. Just go for it young Pete, and report back your findings.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

*waves*

Not a good idea for my wallte in the long rung, I should mention.

I'd use a fairly high dosage of some proper injection cleaner additive like Forte instead. And unless the tank's almost empty, drain it. The petrol in there is unlikely to be any good and _will_ make things worse.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I have - some people recommend soaking a rotary engine's combustion chambers in the stuff if the engine has stood around for a while. Supposedly this softens the carbon deposits. Then you crank the engine after soaking it for a week or two, and once "stuff" stops coming out of the plug holes, you put the plugs back in and fire it up.

About two weeks later your neighbours may be able to see the sun again...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm glad there was an "m" on the front of that...

TBH, I'd just drain the tank as best as possible, and shove new fuel in. I've not had to do anything with injection that's been sat that long, admittedly, but the worst that'll happen is that the injectors are bunged up.

Reply to
Adrian

I took the pipe off the outlet of the fuel pump and pumped it all out of the tank. It wasn't that nice 'petrol' colour.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I wonder if the fuel in the lines has turned to jelly yet. Seen that on more than a few barn finds.

Reply to
Conor

ATF in your oil is a fairly common thing done by the ClubGTI bods as a sort of pikey engine flush, just before an oil change. Fuck knows if it's a good idea in a petrol tank, but I would guess not...

Reply to
Doki

A mix of petrol and 15-20% E85 would be better. The alcohol content will absorb any water and kill any slime that likes to live in petrol/water interface.

Reply to
Peter Hill

12v and a tap with a hammer should sort that..
Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Mechanical injectors. Gotta love 'em.

Reply to