MOT Time

This week SWMBO and I have been mostly MOTing our cars.

Big Red Merc needed a tyre and the chip in the windscreen picked up on the way home from buying it (doh) was big enough to require a replacement. Fully comp insurance meant this wasn't too expensive. A couple of small spots of welding had to be done in the floorpan/sill area. The MOT place, Autoglass and bodyshop all remarked favourably about the good nick the old beast is in for its age and 260k miles. Probably something to do with the fact it has two fully stamped service books (needs a third after the next service!). I don't think I've achieved the 38mpg I was getting when I first bought it because the kid-gloves are off but I reckon it's still returning 30-35 on a run. Not bad at all.

The Clio needed rather more work on it, having been nailed half to death by disrespectful, uncaring, irresponsible male members of SWMBO's family while we were on our travels. Cost very close to 400 quid to put right (one of the repairs was to replace a snapped anti- roll bar!) :( That's without repairing all the bodywork damage which would probably constitute a write-off if we put it through the insurance... At least it's driveable now. Will probably need a clutch soon thanks to the way the bastards ragged it.

We also have the use of another car while a family member is out of the country (which is about 9 or 10 months of the year) so while it's delightful to have so many cars only one of them is interesting and we don't have a lot of dedicated parking space. Given the choice (and being realistic rather than dreaming) I'd rather have the Merc, a VW camper and the use of a Porsche of some description but such is life!!

Reply to
fishman