MR2s...

check wings, boot floor, passenger and driver footwells and sills, everywhere else is ok and doesn't rust as bad :)

Reply to
Vamp

calipers prone to seizing on MR2 MK2's also clutches fail but normally from abuse from owners than anything else. my mates clutch handled 350BHP for 5 years before it had enough :)

the old civic type R aint as nice as the MR2 i don't think, it's to high and to narrow. it's faster to 60mph in less than a second, a f*ck up in the vtec zone sees the lead off, they tripod when pushed an MR2 doesn't might use less fuel but an MR2 won't use as much oil as the civic! soz dan think your wrong with that one

Reply to
Vamp

I forgot to mention the MR2 was red from the factory, and pink when he got it. It wasn't just a Sunday afternoons work to polish either as it was really bad.

If you dropped the MR2 out of it's equivalent V-Tec zone, you're in the same position. Also, why would you do that...? You've got about 500-750rpm of 'space' to change in where you'll drop back into V-tec in the next gear so it's not a small target. BTCC cars tripod when pushed, so it can't be that bad. My mates has done about 80k now, and it doesn't use enough oil in between services to ever get to close to minimum - so I don't think that's a problem either really seen as though he's paying for 4 or 5 litres or whatever anyway heh. Then there's how much better the gearbox is than the MR2s was...

I think you're remembering how good your Turbo was through some rosey specs, and then you're just thinking "an N/A isn't much worse" - as I'm sure you'll have driven one at some point. The difference isn't just 40/50bhp really, it's just night and day IMO the difference between an MR2 Turbo and N/A - with the Turbo being so very much better. Why did you sell yours you fool hehe :-D

Reply to
DanB

He speaketh the truth. An N/a won't feel much quicker, if it at all, than an MX5 I bet, and then there's tuning, which you know full well you have an addiction to hehe! The Turbo makes a good chunk more power for very little cash. Don't they give 260/280bhp or something from a small boost hike, with nothing else really needed (Vamp?)?

Reply to
DanB

"Everything but the glass" :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yeah, I'm kinda looking but not overly convinced yet. Seem to be an awful lot of rubbish ones out there. E36 M3s also seem to be stupidly cheap.

I've had one before, they're a bit of a lard barge and not that powerful either unless you start fiddling under the bonnet again.

They're still not that cheap to run.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I know, I've spun mid-engined cars before.

I'm aware of that forum (used to be a rennlist subscriber back when I had a 924) and also the Pelican parts one.

I didn't think there was that much difference when I looked at my usual suppliers of Porsche bits.

That's good to know, even though it is a bit of a treck from here.

Tuning one is pretty much what I'd like to avoid. Part of /my/ issue with the turbo is that a half-decent one over here is still pretty expensive, whereas you can pick up a half-decent S2 for around 2.5k.

Hmm. Again, I don't really want to go too much into tuning them - I'm budgeting for uprated suspension, but that's pretty much it.

Because as I mentioned before, they're out of my price range for a track car...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

In all seriousness, a grotty front wing etc on one of these isn't that big a problem.

The main problem area is the midrift of the car, as in the where the B pillar etc is.

Last time I looked into these, you still couldn't buy off the shelf replacement panels for this part of the car, and it's one of the main terminal rust points... unless you want to spend months fabricating panels to fit, yourself or pay someone an arm and a leg to do it for you, I'd suggest they aren't the car for you.

Especially given a mere battery strap rotting through has made you give up on the MX5. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Matey with the Skyline engined S13 is picking up an E36 M3 Evo convertible on Sunday.

Oh, sorry... I didn't realise, given it's a car for generally arsing around in on a track, that economy was a factor.

In which case, Sir should get himself a Ford KA / Nissan Micra. :-P

Reply to
JackH

Use the 911?

Reply to
Abo

Well, I'm not sure how bendy they are but I might be looking at a pre-Evo one on Sunday.

Erm, you're missing something here. It's not an issue with the fuel consumption, but Skybuses are heavy cars, so they're hard on the brakes, tyres and all that.

Nissan Micra with a tuned Sunny GTI engine where the rear seat used to live :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Until I'm a bit more confident on the track I'm certainly not going to take a nice, low-mileage 911 on the track. Especially as it's pretty much the only car that I have that's likely to keep its value...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The thing that really put me off the S1s, was that both the base one, and the 135bhp one feel pretty flat and frankly a bit limp once you've got off the line - which they do very well. Of course, I know the idea is that what you lose on the straights you get back four fold in the corners, but really, as you say with the MX5, out cornering people is all well and good, but if they get out of sight as soon as the road straightens up it can be a bit demoralising. The VX220 felt much better than the lower powered Elises, I know they're a bit heavier and 144bhp is a bit naff for a 2.2 16v engine, but it's a really torquey/smooth motor that 2.2 (and it's a chain rather than a belt) and really pulls well out of the bends.

Unfortunately, I then drove a VX Turbo, and it made all the others just look a bit silly hehe. It was like being punched in the face when you nailed it hehe. Much more driveable than an S2000, but of course, the S2000 was another world in practicality and comfort hehe. I just didn't like the gearing, you have to be over 60mph in 2nd before you get any Vtec time which made you feel like to overtake someone doing 50mph at a good pace, you had to be in 2nd! Although it was all a bit relative - really it's a 200bhp car uptill about 6.5krpm and then after that you get an extra 40bhp. This makes it better than you'd think in the sort've mid-range area of a normal car.

Still, mute points as they're all not in the 'Maybe' pile anyway.

Reply to
DanB

They're more in the "maybe a long way in the future" pile...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Have you forgotton one of the primary things that can make a track car awesome is the ability to get to the track, do the day, and get home again on a single tank? That's the sign of a real trackday weapon!

Reply to
DanB

You should've fought Paul to Vamp's 328i! It was only £1,800.

Reply to
DanB

Then you certainly must follow the basics for a forgiving, fun to drive and performant track car: all parts low budget, oversized brakes, stiff chassis and -the utmost important part- low weight. Forget trackcars based on semi-normal cars (weighing standard over 1200 kg): you will have to compensate weight by power which isn't known to be (or stay) cheap.

There are cars who match this: the bike-engined Lotus 7-clones or similars like the Phoenics kitcars. They haven't got the extreme topspeeds (which is just best) but 400 kg and 130 HP ( CBR900 power at

300-600 UKP for complete engine) is tall order to beat while the brakes / suspension etc are not even closed to being stressed.

Those are the cars to learn in: agile and very communicatif.

There is but one major downfall: driven on the public road means that the driver has it very, very hard to behave civilised. Coppers mostly don't appreciate you coming in full control tail-out drifting from a round-a-bout.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Oddly people expect it from a 200sx, or a 325ci, but the sight of an E class with about 30 degrees of slip coming around a roundabout makes people point and stare!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

had ASC so no LSD but find a 328sport with an LSD that'll be a good start, heavy car though personally i'd of taken a turbo or supercharged MX5 and stripped out the bits that aren't needed to save some weight.

Reply to
Vamp

yup easier to do with a rev3 onwards car but 300 is quite easy with a boost hike and maybe replace the turbo. loads of tuning options for the MR2 Turbo and cheap-ish tuning potential

Reply to
Vamp