MR2s...

i know *wipes tear* the turbo is loads better totally different drive. the NA drives ok but the turbo was a proper sports car well more a GT car i always felt cos of the extra power, weight and length to what i'd say was a sports car

Reply to
Vamp

Fo the track just get an M3 - 290bhp instead of 190, and an LSD makes a huge difference when you're sideways.

ASC (traction control) is nice for the road but it only slows you down on the track..

As Vamp says though - no need for back seats or headroom in a track car, you want something small bodied and big engined.

Get an X1/9 ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

With an Alfa V6 in place of the Fiat 1.5 lump.

Reply to
SteveH

Actually, after trying out both an MR2 Mk2 (whoever said they need more power was right) and Trac-Arts MR2 Mk1 I'm on the lookout for an MR2 Mk1 with a decent shell. Don't care much if the engine is a bit ropey if the price is right, but I don't really want to get involve in bodywork repairs.

Oh, and the "don't care about the state of the engine" bit comes from the fact that the 20V 1.6l out of the later Levins drops pretty much straight in :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

If going that route, get a Hawk Stratos with the Alfa V6.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The X1/9 route is significantly cheaper.

Always wanted one with the Alfa V6, or a Lampredi 'Volumex', but the most common one is the Uno / Punto Turbo conversion.

Reply to
SteveH

talk to paul woods on imoc and he'll sort you a MK1 MR2 with a MK2 turbo lump :) i've always wanted one of them! they call it a mk1.5 in the owners clubs hehe

Reply to
Vamp

Oddly enough I'd rather not. The reason the 20V engine appeals that the car stays as a 1.6, it just gains between 30-40 bhp...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The gearbox is weak in these - make sure it doesn't pop out of fifth under load, which IIRC, is the main failing.

Reply to
JackH

Yep, I know - however if the cunning plan with the 20V engine comes off I might just have the gearbox looked at at the same time...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Hi!

You'd never beleive they had 170-175bhp would you? Having checked the handbrake wasn't left on and made sure you weren't towing a dead rhino, you just feel mildly disappointed and wonder where the power is. Although, when you press one of the buttons to choose where the blowers point, if you listen real carefully you can hear that instead of some crude manual system, a little motor in the dash whirrs to move something to direct the airflow

Reply to
DanB

Most cars have that these days.

Even my Passat did, even though it didn't have full climate.

Reply to
SteveH

Mk2 MR2's are cheap for a reason....

Reply to