No posts.

This place is deader than Elvis. In other news I stuck a reversing camera in the B4 last week. Great bit of kit but I need to reangle it because it mainly just shows my licence plate at the moment. Pretty keen on putting one on the Jackaroo(Trooper) now.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I bought another bike engine

ZX6R.

Obviously with an unfinished kit car, what I really didn't need was an engine for a scratch build.

So I bought one.

Not terribly powerful, but I'm a crap driver anyway.

I will be looking for around 300kg all up weight. The ZX6R only makes about 100bhp, but goes all the way to 14k/rpm.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Why not the usual Hayabusa/ZX12/Blackbird type Jap 1000cc+ inline 4?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Simple.

I couldn't handle it, but still want the buzz of something that has an element of that about it. I used to have a Fiat 126 with about 25bhp and you got to drive that flat out everywhere. This will be a lower powered single seater for those who want the experience but haven't the skills to use the higher power to weight ratio. That'll be me.

Remember, a bike powered hillclimb car will weight under 300kg. with the tuned 250bhp Haybusa that a lot of them have, that's way outside my league.

100bhp or so, but still under 300kg is fine with me.
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Cool. I'm in the you can never have too much power camp. : ) Except bikes.

1000cc Jap Bikes have waaay too much power. 300kg sounds light. What the hell is it made of? Tinfoil and egg cartons? : )

Build pics? What ecu you using? Megasquirt? Bike Ecu?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:26:56 +0800, Fraser Johnston boggled us with:

Same here. More is definitely good.

Nah. Well, maybe. I'm undecided on that one. My Fireblade had started to feel "slow" by the time I stopped riding it. Of course, it wasn't really. I was leant a Blackbird a couple of summers ago, after not riding for years. I shat myself.

Reply to
Mike P

My first big bike was a blackbird. It was a big step up from a VTR250. I remember being on a deserted dead straight country road and thinking I'd have a crack at 300kmh. At 265kmh I bottled it and backed off. I've never done that in a car. The dotted white line became a blurry solid one.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 11:54:55 +0800, Fraser Johnston boggled us with:

Sounds familiar. I've seen 150mph (indicated, no idea of accuracy!)on my Fireblade a few times. That was fast enough. It's the acceleration that turns me on, not the outright speed.

Saying that, I'd *love* to have a run in some serious jet-powered machinery like that thing Richard Hammond crashed. If I ever win the lottery, building and running something like that will be high up on the agenda.

Reply to
Mike P

I met an English bloke who bought an ex RAF trainer jet with 4 mates. He said everything including new engines were comedy cheap. The problem was fuel. He said an hour would cost thousands but was the best fun you could have with your clothes on.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Sadly MOD prohibits sales of fast jets to the public. Some unreasonable fear of private individuals being able to fly at > Mach 1. The Jet Provost trainer was very popular for a time, I can't recall seeing any Hawks in private hands.

In truth it's easier to fly a jet than a piston engined aircraft. Less to worry about and you can fly over weather in most cases. The problem being that you then get into controlled air space. It's like the difference between sailing boats and motor boats. Less skill needed to drive a motor boat than a sailing boat and navigation is easier because the effect of tide (wind in the case of aircraft) is less in proportion to the forward velocity.

Reply to
Steve Firth