Not a 'which banger to buy' post

Living out in the country, where we have virtually zero crime, air that doesn't make you cough, clear roads, fun roads, no cameras, green open spaces, safe places for kids to play etc etc vs York, where you yourself (well, your Saab's windows...) were the victim of what happens when you live in a city, the noise, the pollution etc etc suggest that it's the latter....

Reply to
DanB

I've tried both and I still prefer the countryside _but_ by the same token, Charlie is able to walk to work, we can get around the city using shoe leather, bike leather, busses or the Saab... both work.

I thought you know - we moved somewhere less pikey in December. No more broken windows / druggies on the corner / scruff jumping on the roof of the car. :)

Reply to
DervMan

When I lived in Lincoln, I could indeed appreciate the convenience of living in a city, but I definately prefer living in the country. The city was made extra fun by the fact I was at Uni and all the associated fun of that :-)

Ah yes, I'd forgot, a mate and his Mrs have just moved into a place in York, can't remember where now...

Reply to
DanB

I spent many years of my youth in the deepest Lincolnshire and I've lived in Norfolk; both pretty rural.

Indeedy in Coningsby, the nearest piece of dual carriageway is the A17 close to Sleaford, which is >30 minutes away and ~20 miles.

From home right now, I'm about 4 miles from the A64, ish. Four miles through busy streets during the extended rush hour period.

We're in a *much* nicer area. Next to the railway line (on one side) and a green field on the other. Far, far better...

Would I move back to the countryside? Yes without major issues.

Okay, so I'd miss broadband, busses, shops, supermarkets, street illumination, not relying on the car during the weekend, good access to the railway, huge selection of entertainment within 20 minutes walk... blah blah blah...

Sadly, living where we do suits us well. That's why I write that whatever car I run is condemned to a commute grind. Sure, I use a main road a lot of the time, 'cos it's more interesting and means I can dictate my own pace, but ultimately, it's boring.

Reply to
DervMan

C-class Merc.

Autotrader is showing a low mileage Impreza Sportwagon WRX with leather interior for 13k. Possibly the ugliest car I have ever seen.

Lexus is220d? Terminally forgetable car.

Ooh looky, Ford Ranger "Thunder" gwan. or Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCI 155bhp. Gwan, gwan, gwan...

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bizarre, isn't the V50 the current "DAF" in the Volvo line-up?

You could get a s/h S80 2.4 D5 "Geartronic" for the money you have available.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, we get 8Mb/s SDSL out here in the sticks, so I doubt that you'd have to miss broadband. And who in their right mind wants street lighting?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm on 8mb, we have a bus every hour I think, some shops, a small supermarket, street lights (where doesn't have street lights these days?), a train station although we are 20mins from a crap cinema and 40 mins from Clifton Moor and my favorite cinema. I don't mind relying on the car, s'what I've got it for :-)

Reply to
DanB

I wouldn't say so. It's a bit of a badge engineered Focus, but with much better styling and interior.

Indeed I could, and it's something that's looking very tempting - especially if I go with one from a main dealer and get a 2 year warranty on it.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm - there's countryside and there's isolated countryside. Sheep gambolling in the fields outside, broadband, supermarkets (with an excellent beer choice :-) ), fair access ot the railway. No street illumination, granted - I can see up into the sky at night. There are some buses to just outside our house if you talk nicely to the driver. Probably no shops for those who think shopping is a leisure activity - but plenty if you want stuff (bar clothes...). No need for the car really quite a lot of the time.

I think we do quite well.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The ones I saw on Autotrader at around 13.5K 2006, 30K miles were main dealer (Stratstones), so I take it that's a representative main dealer price. It seems a lot of car for the dosh, some of them had TV/DVD/Satnav as well as the leather.

The problem is that FWD business.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yea same here, we have sufficient shops that you could live your life without ever leaving the village really, again, there are no clothes shops - although there is a charity shop - but then, we have broadband so you could buy clothes online, I do that anyway cos I hate shopping heh. We have a small supermarket (Co-Op), a butcher, a bakery, a fruit n veg shop, Post Office, a chippy, a load of pubs and recently they put in a cash machine next to the Co-Op!

Reply to
DanB

Get down your local VAG dealers and get something 6 months old?

Reply to
Abo

Those of us who have been mugged in the darkest pit of no street lighting, and were unable to identify their assailants.

Reply to
DervMan

Every hour? Every hour. How do you cope if you need the bus to get somewhere?

Ahhha so you don't use the bus service!

Living in the countryside isn't the same as living close to or in a city. Each as its own merits. I prefer the countryside _but_ living in a city is, overall, easier.

Reply to
DervMan

I do prefer the countryside, but regrettably living in the city is easier.

For example, I can be in the centre of Edinburgh in under three hours by walking to the station and getting onto a main line service north. It takes ten minutes to walk to York station. If I could wheeze my way there in eight, London's King Cross station is two hours away. Unfortunately, these trips are useful from time to time for business type things. :-/

I dislike shopping for the most part. But we have six major main supermarkets within five miles, covering Monks Cross. Maybe more that I don't know of. :-) Plus all manner of shops and things. Most deliver via online shopping too...

York City Council have made it their intention to discourage the use of the car in the city, so I hope it chapped their hides that Bristol is to be the main cycling city in the UK! :-) The Park and Ride facilities are excellent, the bus service is excellent and for those of us who use it to go more than a mile, it's cheap too. Minicabs, well, yes we have those. Cycle paths too.

As I say, it isn't that I prefer living in the city, but having gotten used to the lack of need to plan travel and not needing to rely on the car at the weekend, it's a nice to have and adequate compensation for living close to other people, some of whom are pikey (and think the same of me).

Reply to
DervMan

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oi. Four line sig max, please...

Reply to
Adrian

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Suddenly, all is explained.

Reply to
Adrian

Yup. And Germany too.

Reply to
DervMan

You need to read the whole thread to appreciate..?

Reply to
DervMan