Not a 'which banger to buy' post

[snip]

It doesn't matter what we think because you're going to be driving it, you're not going to be modifying it and we're never going to see it.

But c'mon, why are you asking?

There is no choice of those three; it would have to be the 3-series.

That said, I'd say no to a company 320d SE; I'd run something I wanted to.

Reply to
DervMan

Cruise? Air conditioning? Hands free kit? CD? Rear speakers are not worth £75 a month.

Reply to
DervMan

It was going to be a Volvo wasn't it? I'd rather have the Beemer than that anyway heh! Was surprisinly unimpressed by the C30 once I'd given it a test.

Reply to
DanB

No cruise, manual aircon, no rear speakers. It's a 5 door, too, so manual windows in the back.

I like my music, so rear speakers are actually quite important.

I like driving, too, 177bhp is quite important.

Reply to
SteveH

£168 a month in tax, with the options I'd want :(
Reply to
Abo

In your opinion. It would be very relevent to me.

Now I've had it I'd also quite like keyless entry/push button start (not one of those pointless ones where you have to put a card in a slot - that may as well be a key).

Reply to
DanB

You need a more tax efficient way to invest in your pension....

Reply to
SteveH

It pains me to say I have to agree with Mr H on this one heh. £75 a month isn't exactly a huge amount of money - but living with an Audi as crap as that one appears to be would be a huge amount of pain.

Reply to
DanB

Heh, with a choice that blindingly obvious it must be a bit of "I'm getting a Beemer!" willy waving :-)

Reply to
DanB

BMW but then i'm a bit biased, i'd prefer the 330d but beggars and choosers ect

Reply to
Vamp

Not the 335d Coupe...?

Reply to
DanB

Seriously, I'd been considering buying something with my cash alternative.

However, the potential maintenance bills put me off, as does having to insure a car for up to 40k miles of business use.

The positive is that I could buy something I really wanted and have some equity in it at the end of the 3 year loan.

But I don't know.

I'm more than slightly apprehensive about the idea of opting out of the safety net of a company scheme.

Reply to
SteveH

Would you get a 159 or GT JTD for that?

Reply to
Elder

Yes.

But, I'd really want an automatic, and even I'm not brave enough to trust a Sillyspeed.

Reply to
SteveH

Heh, what do you suggest?

Actually, £168 a month is still cheaper than financing one, and you get the bonus of it being fully supported. I still stand by the arguements

*for* having a company car when I needed one.
Reply to
Abo

Just get the Beemer, you know deep down it'd be a better car than the Alfa as well. I see the new Prodrive fettled Brera S in Evo this month though is meant to reset the scale somewhat and actually make the Brera as good as it should have been from the start. All they've really done is change the suspension set up so it's suited to UK roads well. Mind you though, at £28k it wants to be good...

Reply to
DanB

i hate that key card shit and there actually bigger than a normal key too, gay renault idea that, almost as gay as given a megane a bum but not quite. also on the early versions the key rin hole was at the end you inserted first so you have to keep removing it from the key ring is you were stupid enough to put one on it!

the PROPER cars like astons, mercs and BMW's have proper keyless shit on them, the auston has a card i think too but unlike renault's you don't have to stick it anywhere and it does fit ok into a wallet which is nice.

although it's not such a thing to brag about these days as even the nissan micra has it.

Reply to
Vamp

ah well coupe then yeah i was talking saloon

Reply to
Vamp

If you don't choose an Alfa we'll all point and laugh.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh, the really, really, big problem here is that Alfa only do the notoriously shit Sillyspeed box if you want to get rid of the left pedal.

Reply to
SteveH