Not a 'which banger to buy' post

"DervMan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Whoosh.

Reply to
Adrian

Why would you on a classic Merc SL?

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Not much opportunity to use it round here, Dan, TBH without coming up along the latest fuel economy driver plodding at 45..

Reply to
Conor

Mugged out here in the country? I doubt it somehow. Not that street lighting acts as any sort of a deterrent or helps in identification.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you can get 2Mb, you can get 8Mb. Just need deeper pockets and a FireBrick.

Reply to
Grant

Meh!

*walks away from computer, cuddles cat*
Reply to
DervMan

Yeah, I don't get it. They'll idle their engines whilst they go and buy the paper at the corner shop a mile from home, then drive at 45 on main roads to save fuel.

Reply to
DervMan

Ok, add "not being mugged" to things you'd miss. I'd rate that one quite highly, actually.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Bother. Make that "being mugged". But I'm hoping my meaning was clear anyway :-)

Reply to
Clive George

How about thinking outside the herd, especially if work are going to be=20 paying for the servicing.

Newer than the limit, and cheaper than your expected spend, and much=20 lower mileage.

You said it didn't really matter as it is only somewhere to work.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

But the beauty of the quiet roads means overtaking oppertunites and plentyful :-)

Reply to
DanB

How about thinking outside the herd, especially if work are going to be paying for the servicing.

Newer than the limit, and cheaper than your expected spend, and much lower mileage.

You said it didn't really matter as it is only somewhere to work.

But we were arguing it had to be at least nice if you have to spend all day there. That is not nice, in any way.

Reply to
DanB

Seconded, can't remember ever hearing of anyone getting mugged in the village (I'm not saying it's never happened though, as it may well of done).

Reply to
DanB

I'd already considered and discounted one on account of those looks.

Nothing particularly wrong with them as a car, being based on Saab / Fiat mechanicals and built in Sweden, but it's ugly as sin.

Huge amout of car and kit for the money, though.

Reply to
SteveH

I still think they're HUGELY overpriced given what the residuals will be in another 6 months. What the f*ck were Stratstone thinking? I bet the total sales figures for a year will be in single figures. You'd have to very rich, and like shit cars, or just very stupid to buy one of those with your own cash IMHO....

Reply to
DanB

OTOH I live in a small town in the country. However, the region is rather more populated than North Yorkshire. I'd struggle to find any countryside like you have within an hours drive of here. 20 mins from a crap cinema here in the next town, 40 mins from actual good cinemas if you're willing to go to Nottingham or Sheffield. And 40 mins from good restaurants in Nottingham (there are no good restaurants in Sheffield as far as I can tell). However, if you drive during normal hours, you're very often stuck behind some duffer doing 25-30mph in a 60 limit, with just enough traffic to stop you overtaking and enjoying the twisty roads. Even at 5am, you'll be held up by people on the M1...

Reply to
Doki

Birmingham is hell.

Reply to
Doki

You catch the bus at the bus stop, and get off at it's location? How often do you want them? At worst you arrive slightly early, if it's urgent you'd take the car anyway...

Of course I don't, buses are shit - although at least here no one seems to piss/vomit on them like in big cities...

Oh no doubt it's easier, but I was just saying, living somewhere rural these days isn't that much of an inconvenience.

Reply to
DanB

Does anyone GAF about exclusivity? It's certainly not something that appeals to me, given that I prefer to have a relatively inconspicuous car. However, if I could have picked up a BMW estate at the same sort of money as the 406, I'd have jumped at the chance, however the same age BMW is around twice the price. More power, RWD, proper weight distribution instead of everything over the front wheels, a bit more attention to quality. All stuff well worth having. I expect my next work hackmobile will be a BMW 320d or 525d estate.

RWD is absolutely definately worth having having driven a few RWD cars. FFS the 406 was lurching around trying to put power down in the wet in second today...

Reply to
Doki

Insurance shouldn't be too problematic - my brokers gave me a premium approx

300 cheaper than anyone else's quote and the car is insured for business use - but not commercial travelling, which you may need. However it is insured for mods up to 150bhp.

OTOH maintenance is going to mean 2 services a year, £400 a year on tyres, £150-£300 a year on brakes plus anything that goes hideously wrong. OTOH things hideous going wrong aren't all that common, bar DMF failure. When I was looking for cars, I banged all that sort of stuff in a spreadsheet and worked out pence per mile for various cars. Might be worth sticking a few quid in a high interest account in case of A Big Bill, budgeting that you'll have at least 1 of them in the next 3 years. If nothing goes wrong in the time that you have the car, it's a nice bonus...

Reply to
Doki