Oh no- another banger post

Last night I was offered another banger.

Brother has decided to buy a new car - A Volvo V70 2.4D SE Geartonic. Anyway, he offered me his old car.

W reg Skoda Felicia. In white... One owner plus him.

48k miles. 1.3 Classic so it has the proper Skoda engine. Long MOT.

WTF would I do with it though.

I wonder if it might interest anyone on here who could do with some cheap motoring......

Or should I just use it as a work car and polish the Golf up a bit.

Ridiculous answers on a postcard.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

It might interest me, but don't take that as anything other than me slightly raising my head. Any idea what sort of mpg he's got out of it? I'm guessing about 40-ish...

And how much would you want for it? I really shouldn't be asking but I get the impression a boring hunk 'o' junk might be just what I need right now.

And paging Carl (Elder) - is there anything cheap and Skoda-like I should be worried about, age-wise?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Pics first I think and then we'll take it from there. I'll have them by this evening.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd ask all the same questions. I need a cheap runabout. I was going to buy an MX-5 and a Ka to replace the dying Xantia, unfortunately we had some crap news this morning - wifey's got cataracts in both eyes (she's only 36 FFS) and her vision's going so she's not driving until it's all sorted out. Therefore I'm going to buy a much newer MX-5, but I'll need something to potter about in when there's more than just the two of us, which seems to be quite regular these days.

Mike p

Reply to
Mike P

Ah bugger :-( Poor wifey, she has my sincerest GWS wishes.

What kind've vintage MX5? I nearly had a new one in 2004 on the motability scheme, would've been a 54 plate :-) The 'Sport' was miles ahead of the others in terms of looks/spec etc - full Bilstien suspension, 17s, leather,

6sp box etc. That'd be the model to look out for IMHO.
Reply to
DanB

Cheers Dan, I shall pass it on, although it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things..

Looking at spending around £4500-5000 on a 2000/2001 plate one. There seems to be plenty about around our area. I've driven a couple over the weekend and I'm well impressed. We all know they could do with a bit more power though:-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Swap the engine for a G40 lump. IIRC should be easy.

Reply to
Depresion

A workmate has a G40 powered Polo breadvan shape (as I call them).

Never been in it actually, but apparently it goes well.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I bet she's well freaked out though, anything that made me think "What if I go blind?" even if that's an irrational fear would proper scare me.

Still look out for 'Sport' spec would be my choice, just for the leather and

6spd really, and you get like, alu pedals, nice gearknob and stuff like that, just the little touches that make it feel a bit more sporty :-). Reasonably confident I'm gonna get flamed for that heh.
Reply to
DanB

She's been cleaning her specs a lot recently, reckoning they were always dirty when they weren't. She went for an eye test a month or so ago and they immediately wrote her a doctors letter for to get her referred to hospital, which she went to this morning and got the news. It's no great big thing, both my grans had cataracts and were in and out of hospital in a couple of days. Only issue seems to be whether to NHS it, do it through my company healthcare, or wifey wants to go back home and get it done by her Uncle's wife, who's an eye surgeon.

Not by me you won't, I like all that sort of stuff, provided the car it's attached too is worthy of it :-)

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a decent, newish car for once. Last new car I had was a Civic Type-R back in 2003 as a company car. Since then, they've all been old relics

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I've got a 2003 Sport. It came with 16s, and as well as the stuff you mention it has heated leather and LSD.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ah when I was looking, June '04 the Sport had 6 or 7 curved spoke 17s, I'm sure you know the ones I mean?

Reply to
DanB

My word, I wouldn't go saying things like that round here either ;-) I like having a car that doesn't have several niggles at a time, and a couple of buttons that don't work ""Insert predictable Renault joke here"" and that doesn't have little dints and scratches all over it. I think it's nice to have something you enjoy owning rather than something that you can be proud of how economical you're being by owning it by not losing out on depreciation etc... Although I appreciate this isn't for everyone, and that's fine by me, it's not my money, I don't have to drive it - and it's probably much more sensible to comply to bangernomics!

Reply to
DanB

Only if you want to / need to.

I'm glad we're all different, otherwise it would be a dull old world :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Too right!

Reply to
DanB

The only reason bangernomics works is that there's not many people doing it, so having people who aren't all different would be really awful. Fortunately that's not the case :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I love having cars that work and aren't scratched to shit.. I've got a thing about borrowing money to buy a car, I just won't do it. Now we've managed to save quite a bit by using disposable auto-relics, we reckon we can get something more decent especially if it's something that won't lose too much value too quickly. I'm actually really looking forward to having a shiny car that works properly, goes well and handles well. All the cars I've had have done one or more of those things, but never all of them :-)

I'm hoping I'll be able to sell a £5k MX-5 in 2-2/12 years when we go to the US for at least £3k, and the money I'd have "lost" will have still been no more than I'd spend on running relics for that length of time.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Do something like

first one with the castrol graphics.

Reply to
Elder

Nothing much to worry about, the 1.3 is a cam chain, but no tensioner.=20 It can start to rattle anywhere from 20k to 60k. If you leave it too=20 long it can saw the water pump off, but they rarely get that bad.

Parts are about =A320 (Chain and two sprockets), but fitted by a garage=20 about =A3120-150.

Thats it really. The facelifted ones (like the octavia front), used more=20 polo bits, but I think they all used polo brakes and struts. There isn't=20 a lot to go wrong. I think it is Siemens mpi injection.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Ah f*ck, thats bad. Good luck with her treatment.

Reply to
Elder