Oi Dervy, if you have them, Smoke them.

know you want one, you mucky bugger.

Reply to
Elder

Black smoke like that on a diesel means the engine is burning far too much diesel. People using crap tuning boxes will see the same. They increase fuel pressure and increase power slightly, but a lot of the diesel pumped in is not used. They damage the EGR valve and ruin the fuel injectors and diesel pump. A lot of that is done for show - black smoke seems to make the crowd cheer. If they injected slightly less diesel it would cut the smoke and give more power.

Reply to
Clive

You would think the manufacturer would know that wouldn't you. Perhaps you should tell them instead of me. The makers of that car are a subsiduary of the engine makers. Who do you thinks knows more about making a fast engine? You or the original manufacturer?

Reply to
Elder

There are arguments on both sides - good and bad arguments. Mega boost tractor pulling engines which seem to be similar with billet internals etc. seem to be equally smoky. Apparently - and I think this is bollocks - the sooty exhaust is reckoned to build boost quicker because it's heavier....

Conventional diesel thinking says that smoky exhaust = overfueling. It's what they've always done on full 'throttle' My old B4 1.9TDI which was 90bhp was just as clean as the 9 years younger B5.5 1.9TDI which was 130bhp. Driving them hard every day seems to keep them clean for some reason. I reckon they're smoky because it's easier to build a very powerful smoky engine than a very powerful but clean engine.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yeah, but the company that built that is a subsiduary of Cumins who supplied the engine ready tuned for the car. You might think unless they had a reason to not to, Cumins might have build a clean engine, even if that reason was it would get the diesel pervs soiling their pants as boost built.

Reply to
Elder

Maybe, maybe not. I guess it'll depend on the regulations concerned.

Reply to
DervMan

I didn't watch the video - but if it's doing the monster truck tramp steamer black soot, then it'll be for effect or the extra mass being chucked down the exhaust.

Most road going turbodiesels produce a puff when the turbocharger is being spooled up. Cheap tuning boxes usually soot quite a bit more here. Really cheap ones, or too-rich ones, soot all the way through.

When set at the default (7/10) my Saab sooted a little bit more on the hoof. At 10/10 it sooted lots. Solved by running on BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power Diesel (probably Total Excellium too - gotta love GTL fuels).

Yeah but it's for the fun of the soot! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Watch the video

Reply to
Elder

Mehhhhh.....

Ahha there's always the Nokia heh.

Reply to
DervMan

That'll be the turbo being spooled up then! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Goes well doesn't it.

Reply to
Elder

If you really want to know, its smokey because it is heavily nitrous injected. Without that the thing would be as dog slow as most diesels. With Nitrous on a diesel engine you cannot add extra fuel via the intake as per usual as it would detonate way before top dead centre and you would run over the crank.

So all the extra fuel that both the spooled up turbo, and the operating Nitrous system(s) require, plus some extra for cooling and just in case goes in a WOT via a standard injection arangement. (yes I know there isnt really a throttle...)

Even then with tons of boost and tons of nitrous its only got a 156 terminal speed. A similarly equiped (chassis/tyres/weight/capacity/etc) pro mod petrol powered door slammer car is doing over 200 in less time without a turbo so it would be at the very back of the field at any serious meeting.

Reply to
Burgerman