Sorry if this is you... Low range next time?

Mark Solesbury

i thought that roll cages wernt supposed to bend? (his has all round the rear roof)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Mark Solesbury farted out

It does look like poor driving technique ... or a transmission/brake system failure ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Could just be sliding, can't just be driver error, they'd have to have forgotten about the brakes!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hard to know really.

One thing I noticed was the tyres, near the end, which seem to be directional ... and these seem to be pointing the wrong way which might explain it some way.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Pointing at the sky rather than the ground? ;-)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

They are on the "right" way around, conventionally speaking, with the grooves angled to push mud out to the side with forward rotation, I doubt it would make that much difference though.

Incidentally on my Anacondas on the pinz, the "right" way around, as indicated by the directional rotation arrow on the sidewall, puts the tyre treads on the opposite way round to what would normally be expected. The treads on mine are angled so that mud etc is pushed into the middle of the tyre as the wheel rotates forward. Odd.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thats so you can reverse yourself out of trouble !

I would have thought they would howl on the road if they are full width directional.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Ha ha very funny! I think it's so I can pull landies out of an inch of mud!

They probably do, however with straight cut gears in the portal boxes and me sitting on top of the engine, it's rather hard to tell..

Here's a pic of an Anaconda, the one in that shot would be rotating anti-clockwise so the tread direction pushes muck into the centre of the tread, which is open as there's a large groove running around the centre of the tyre.

They are almost bar-grip tyres! Sort of off-set half-bars.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If they are the "right" way round for forward traction, they will be the "wrong" way round for braking effort. I would agree that any advantage in reversing the tyres would be marginal. Hard to find the time when you're going that fast, too.

Reply to
Rich B

He's either failed to put it in low box, or possibly he has and it has slipped back into neutral. The motion of the vehicle has all the looks of "out of control" rather than "oo-er this is quicker than I planned".

Reply to
Rich B

I was always told that V groove tyres should touch the ground with point of the V first first otherwise they fill with mud and then they are no good for braking or grip - they just become muddy slicks. Its the direction of rotation that does this not the direction of the load.

For tyres that have angled tread on the edges, I would think it would be the same - but maybe the reverse is better for getting grip on the edge of a rut, or to climb out of a rut.

The problem when I had directional tyres was needing a non-directional spare (or two directional spares) - and those old Deestones were cross- plies too, they were lively on wet roads.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Ditto, the tyres on the truck in the video are on the "right" way around by that reckoning, the anacondas I have on my beast are on the "wrong" way around by that reckoning, but the "V" shape has the vertex lopped off so perhaps they don't fill with mud? Not really noticed yet as it's not been off-road that much, and I tend to avoid the mud as I quite like the truck and have seen what the mud has done to my Defender, 20 years younger than my pinz.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah but he'd also have had to have completely forgotten about the brakes, so not convinced of that.. Can't see if the wheels are turning in the vid.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yebbut - with respect, it's not the direction of rotation, it's the motion of the tyre relative to the ground. With tyres oriented as you describe (which I understand to be the correct way), as the tyre slips with forward rotation, any mud is forced outwards, the grooves are cleared and traction is maintained. However, if the tyre is turning *slower* than the vehicle (i.e. the movement relative to the ground is reversed), which is what would happen if the vehicle was tobogganing down a slope, then the opposite will happen and the grooves will pack up with mud and become useless.

Reply to
Rich B

Nothing to do with a failure - other than on the driver's part.

Just watch the first few seconds after he/she went over the top. Note the acceleration and then the bounces. It's either not in gear (including transfer box jumoed into neutral) or in a high one not at all suited to the conditions. Braking, tyre tread direction etc. are all irrelevant when the wheels are off the ground! I'll be generous - perhaps they just didn't realise how slippery grassy slopes can be.

Reply to
Dougal

Just one of lots of different possibilities, not much point getting too analytical over such a short piece of poorly shot video of a situation we don't know owt about.. After all for most of the descent it's not actually very steep and the driver's calmly got his arm out the window. If you look at the last part of the video the hill seems to get suddenly steeper, turn to looser ground and there's a large bank at the bottom where the truck ends up. Could have been any number of things going on.

How about we sit here and work out the relative speed of the truck, the height of the bumps from the way the truck moves, the likely shifting of the load, the effect the wind has on it, the exact ground conditions etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes you are right. Beyond a certain rate of slip that must be the way it works. What I was saying only applies when there is not much slip, and pumping the mud out from under the tyre helps stop slip occurring.

I initially reckoned V groove tyres should go the other way round so that the Vs acted like scoops - but it doesn't work that way - you get the muddy version of aqua-planing.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

First part reminds me of Bill T at KORC at the unofficial!!!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

LOL!!!

Reply to