OK, what is the Chevrolet Epica based one?

In the past, Daewoos were always last years cast of GM designs, but this actually looks kind of attractive in LT spec, in Mica Black with
Charcoal leather with the 2.0 diesel and auto.
Looks a bit Saab, and a bit Merc from certain angles? http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/epica/epica-index.html
Almost like it was something to do with all those Cadillacs they couldn't sell.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Elder wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Epica
A Daewoo apparently...
Mike P
says...

Yeah, but Deawoos are always based on last years vx/opel.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Looks ok from the rear view, bit ugly from the front. How long have they been out? Are they available for pennies at 3 years old?
--
Dan
Clio R27 F1 #65

Motorshowed in 2006, available in Korea in 2007, new here.
I was only thinking the other day that Koreans have done in 5-10 years what the Japanese took 20-30 years to do.
They have gone from ugly cheap but practical utility cars to making hardwaring and good looking cars.
Look at Hyundai. The towing/caravaners quite often pick the Santa-fa, some of the smaller hatches look "funky", and even Steve H considered the coupe. Daewoo design are now designing Chevrolets for the world and look "OK". Even Kia made a big thing are look acceptable.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

I was in a current shape Hyundai Coupe the other day. Quite a fresh one with around 20,000 miles on it.
It had sports suspension.
what is the point of 'sports suspension' ?
Spine crushingly hard is apparently what they mean by sports suspension. I would be willing to bet that it would not make a devastatingly effective etc.......

Sounds like it was a new shape TSIII. Bigger wheels and lower suspension, as I recall.
I drove a standard 2.0 manual and it was good. The tip-tronic gearbox is engineered by Porsche.
www.italiancar.co.uk - Ducati 750SS - Hongdou GY200
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com says...

A brand new one might sort SteveH for his optout.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Are you having a laugh?
The reason I'm opting out is that I don't want another 4 pot diesel saloon.
I've just realised that new shape S80s are within my price range - lots of S80 D5 SE Geartronics around for 14.5k.
Very tempting, but do I want a Jag or 407 Coupe more than I want the new S80..... the S80 interior is a beautiful, truely stunning design and very well made.
www.italiancar.co.uk - Ducati 750SS - Hongdou GY200

Auto Express seemed to be hinting that it is based on the Opel Omega.

The six cylinder straight six sounds interesting. It's a shame it's too small, mounted the wrong way and driving the wrong wheels.
ObMod
It looks like it will be prime restyling fodder, because it's not too bad looking from the rear 3/4 but a dog from the front and not that great from the rear. It looks like it's crying out for an Irmscher style front end redesign.
%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, the Omega as in the ancient and long since dropped RWD barge?
Or do you mean the forthcoming Insignia (Vectra replacement)?

That, yes. It's was also as the basis for the SAAB 9-5 which isn't RWD, wasn't it?

No not that.
%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, the 9-5's a slightly stretched Vectra, same platform as the 9-3.

Point of order.....
The 9-5 is a stretched GM2900 platform, which is the old Chavalier Mk3 platform. Why they didn't stick to modifying the infinitely better type 4 platform inherited from the 9000 I don't know, though.
The current 9-3 is the Epsilon platform, which is the current Vectra platform.
Fuck knows what the Epica is - externally it looks very much like it could be Insignia based, though.
Who cares, it'll be a terminally dull heap of far eastern crap and only bought by people who consider the Chevrolet badge to be more upmarket than a Hyundai badge.... allegedly the Sonata is quite a competent car, but is also dull as ditchwater.
www.italiancar.co.uk - Ducati 750SS - Hongdou GY200
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The current 9-3ss is the Vectra C (current Vectra) The previous 9-3 was the Vectra B (our Mk1 Vx Vectra) The NG900 was the Vectra A (our Mk3 Chav)
I _think_ the 9-5's the same as the previous 9-3, the Mk1 Vec - the timescales would fit with that, since the Mk3 Chav had been replaced long before the 9-5 came out - and the NG900 was replaced by the 9-3 about the same time.
<shrug> Whatever. It's a shite, ancient FWD Opel platform, not a shite, ancient RWD Opel platform converted to FWD...

The MkI Vectra (Vectra B) was technically the same platform as the MkIII Chavalier (Vectra A)....

Heh.
There are some amazing deals to be had on brand new 9-5s at the moment....
www.italiancar.co.uk - Ducati 750SS - Hongdou GY200
Adrian wrote:

9-5 is nothing like a Vectra B under the bonnet. I struggle to see any lineage on the 9-5 we have at Payne Towers compared to the Vectra B or MK3 Cavalier my mate owned or any of the GM900s and 9-3s I have seen in breakers yards recently.
--
Douglas

(SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they

Which is an indication of how little platform sharing matters :-) Except apparently on Usenet, because it gives some geeks to oppertunity to 'insult' you by saying your cars platform is shared with some thing they say is shit.
--
Dan
Clio R27 F1 #65

...says the Nissan Micra driver...
gurgled happily, sounding much like

I beleive there is no relation, barring that Renault owns a bit of Nissan, and Nissan owns a bit of Renault. I beleive the new Micra will use the Clio platform though when it comes out in a few years. The Clio, as it stands, is substantially bigger than the old Micra - which has been out for like 8 years or something now! If it used that platform, it'd be using a platform almost as old as the 10 year old one it was replacing hehe :-) The old ClioSport chassis though, is now the new Twingo!
--
Dan
Clio R27 F1 #65