What are early 2ks Mondeos like?

Apart from being emissions level taxed?

for example? Or might consider an Octavia again.

I take it this will probably be rusty?

Elder

Watch out for rear subframe bushes and knackered clutches. Otherwise they're fine. I'd have one happily. Nice cars without the baggage of certain rivals - drive a Mondeo and people don't assume you're self obsessed.

Cupholders are ok, dash is semi-squidgy, lumbar support on most, decent enough stereo, loads more room than in most rivals, easy to drive, cheap to run, easy to get bits for, reliable, handle well, ride well, don't tend to rattle, tend to be well equipped.

Plenty of cabbies out there with 300k mile ones still working fine.

Depends, do you want a good car, or a good badge? What's more important to you? Any pub car park job interviews soon? Does your car say more about you than your personality can? Do you care more about what Harris in sales will say about your than what you'd actually want from a car?

Drive one, if you like it, buy it. If you don't, buy something else.

Do keep looking for stuff though, you dig up some nutty motors.

Reply to
Pete M

It has to say more about me than my personality. If it didn't I would have been locked up by now.

I can't help having a liking for "interesting" cars. If they had made a diesel V8 Celsior/LS that would be just the thing I would like to waft in.

Reply to
Elder

That Mondeo looks a good buy - but the advert is a bit sparse, worth one of those £3 text HPi checks as well (just saved us buying my mate's fiance's little brother a Cat C repaired Saxo) - and obviously make sure it has history etc.

My parents have a 2002, 51 plate 2.5 V6 Ghia X estate Mondeo. It's done about 80k iirc, and we've had it a few years. It gets serviced at the local indy 100m from our house and it's perfectly expensive. It's duties are towing the caravan a couple of times a year, and dad commutes the 5 mile trip to brewery every day. Aside from that, weekend shopping trips and the odd jaunt to see my brother in Cambs. It has leather, climate, cruise etc and is plenty comfy enough, nice ride, lot of grip despite the Ghia suspension been the soft and comfy one.

It's never gone wrong, till just now when the clutch snapped off the end of the aircon compresser after a regas. This obviously, isn't going to be a common thing I'm sure heh. Replacement compresser was £65 delivered from a breakers via Partsgateway.co.uk and local indy is charging a couple of hours, so about £60+vat, then it'll need another regas at KwikFit for £45. So, just a bit under £200;, not the end of the world and as I say, clutches snapping off isn't likely to be common heh. This was somewhat proven in a way when I rang the Ford Dealer for a part number for mum, the guy said he'd never actually supplied a Mondeo compresser before.

Reply to
DanB

I've seen afew - all makes and models, but essentially the exact circumstances- un-trained and un-aware grease monkey re-charges with liquid R134A (inverted bottle) into the low side and hydraulic locks the compressor...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It was gassed at KwikFit a week before it broke...

Reply to
DanB

And of course nobody would ever expect a correlation between those two events.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

S'why I mentioned it had just been gassed in the first post :-) Now it's fixed, guess where dad has gone today to get it gassed again hehe! I suspect Tim meant though that the thing broke immiedately when that 'mis-gassing' was done. It worked perfectly for a week. Probably worth mentioning though that it's needed gassing for about 18 months, so it's all sat un-used since then... I assumed the clutch had seized and then weakened when it began to be used.

Reply to
DanB

They can't really f*ck that up though, just mess up the financial transaction in your favour because they can't do percents.

They hook it up, select the car then push a button. It vacs down and if that doesn't show a leak/fault/moisture, the machine puts in a pre- calculated dose of gass and oil and then prints a report when done.

Reply to
Elder

All true, but they can f*ck it up, there are still manual valves that the spotty operative has to twiddle and they don't seem able to get that right more often than not...

Reply to
Pete M