[OT] Faith in human kindness... Restored for me!

There is a thread on ClioSport, started by me. A few people had been asking why the R27 had to go etc, and what was I ill with. Then one evening, I was feeling really down, so I thought, f*ck it, I'll get it all out in words, and tell them. Felt really good to vent it all to what felt like a 'someone' to be honest.

The response over the past few weeks has been massive, 285 replies (inc a few from me answering/thanking people) and maybe 50 private messages, wishing me well, and saying 100% nice things and it's felt like I've had load of extra friends routing for me really almost! This was amazing, the way the club pulled round, and some of the fantastic offers of help and even a £300 Red Letter Day (which I couldn't, and wouldn't accept of course - although I have accepted a free Mug from the site admin haha!).

So, as if that wasn't enough (which it was many times over in my book), a young lad, can't have had a lot of money (has a 1.4 Clio), won £30k on the National Lottery Daily Play, then he proceeded, he said because of that thread and how lucky he felt, especially with there being some very sad stories in there from other people as well, to donate £10k, split between 3 cancer charities and one local (to him) hospice.

I just couldn't really think of words to reply for ages, I felt good for inspiring him, but obviously it was 100% him, I didn't suggest it or anything. So there you go, young lad with a 1.4 Clio, with a huge sound system (describes his car as excessively loud!) in, who you'd probably label as a worthless chav if you saw him driving around, along with all the replys, 100% restored my faith that there are still quite a few nice people left in the world :-) Even those who you'd least expect...

Reply to
DanB

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

Dude, you brought a tear to my eye!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Touching story, thanks a lot for sharing it with us Dan

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

And that's the important thing Dan. It was started by you, hence it was real and it means something. That's why it touched people and that's why you're putting a footprint on the world that is disproportionate to your physical size.

Well done.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Tried to reply a couple of times but they were a bit lame really.

Good on that lad for including his local hospice though, they do some excellent work.

Reply to
Abo

That's pretty cool and I think it's great that you let the group know.

Here's an interesting moral question: I wonder how many of us regulars would do the same. (c:

Good on that lad I say.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's not often you read of things like this but it's really nice that sometimes you do.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Is that good? Or are you ripping me :) ?

I didn't really expect many replies, I thought people would just be like, stop looking for attention heh.

Reply to
DanB

Look for as much as you want... no reasonable person would begrudge you it, in your predicament.

FWIW, I've never met you... but like others in here, I regard you as a mate... which given as I say I've never met you is sort of weird really, but whatever, you can be assured plenty of us have you in our thoughts as a result of the friendship we've found through our common interest in cars.

Now, can we get back to ripping the shit out of each other and our choice in cars, please! ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

It's good. Believe me Dan, I don't rip the piss out of people I admire.

Well not other than in a spirit of sport, and I wasn't doing it this time.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh good :-) Thank you :-)

Reply to
DanB

Look for as much as you want... no reasonable person would begrudge you it, in your predicament.

FWIW, I've never met you... but like others in here, I regard you as a mate... which given as I say I've never met you is sort of weird really, but whatever, you can be assured plenty of us have you in our thoughts as a result of the friendship we've found through our common interest in cars.

Awww thanks dude :-)

Now, do me a favor and stop using your newsreader that doesn't work with the best newsreader there is - Windows Mail ;-) Cos I keep having to make lines of stars. Although it does pretty up my posts a bit I suppose. They're like lines of little flowers aren't they :-)

xxx

Reply to
DanB

I said you're a mate, but I don't like you like that... batty. ;-)

Done... blame Google Gropes for not working and finally kicking me up the newsreader arse.

Reply to
JackH

Yay, it worked :-)

Reply to