[OT] JCB going back?

I was at the MIRA seminar on the exclusive use of CFD in the design of the DieselMax and during the discussions they were talking of going back and trying to improve on there 350mph record (having averaged 370 on the first run without using 6th gear). They are looking for a fuel sponsor and a tyre sponsor willing to make tyres capable of the speeds (the ones they used were rated at just over 300mph). The aim is to break 410mph as the current FIA land speed record for a reciprocating piston engined, wheel driven car is just over 409mph. The engines should just do it without any aerodynamic work to the car and it would then be faster than any petrol powered, piston engined, wheel driven car.

Reply to
Depresion

But why wouldnt they use a petrol motor instead it would be faster still?

Reply to
Burgerman

Presumably because Diesel is there 'thing'.

Can you nitrous Diesels?

Reply to
conkersack

What's CFD?

Reply to
conkersack

You mean, can you inject a gas that when burned releases extra oxygen, into an internal combustion engine?

Elder

Yeah yeah, all right! Gimme a break, I'm ill at the moment!

Reply to
conkersack

To a point but the high compression gets to be a problem at big boost levels. If your compressions is say 22 to 1 and you give it a 300 percent boost then you are squashing three times the volume of gas into the same tiny space. Effective compression is now effectively 55 to 1! Gaskets, pistons, bearings dont like it.

Reply to
Burgerman

Of course I hit the wrong key thats 66 to 1!

Reply to
Burgerman

No worries.

Reply to
Elder

It was built to beat the diesel enginned land speed record.

Reply to
Homer

300% boost? So nitrous is some sort of forced induction too? I thought it just 'replaced' the air. No doubt I'm missing something here.

What sort of power increases could you get with a non-turbo deisel, if you didn't put too much of a strain inducing boost on it?

Reply to
conkersack

Nitrous is effectively chemical forced induction. You chemically instead mechanically add more oxygen, to which you can add more fuel.

More air and more fuel equal more bang.

Mechanical has the advantage that it has no storage limit, chemical needs storage so has limits to capacity (how big the tank is).

Reply to
Elder

Computational flow dynamics. There was no wind tunnel testing of the DieselMax at any stage in the design process.

Reply to
Depresion

Sounds impressive!

Reply to
conkersack

The maths involved is and it's cheap as well.

Depresion

Interesting, cheers.

Reply to
conkersack