OT - maybe - 12v USB hub

I need a USB 2.0 high speed (480Mhz) self powered hub that can be run from the 12v ciggy lighter.

I've found loads of adapters with USB ports to supply phones and things but they won't send data back down the line to the pc. I've found hubs that will run from 5v external power supplies and I've found 5v power supply adapters that plug into the ciggy lighter but I haven't found one that can supply over 500mA and I need just over that from two of the ports when combined. Then there is the problem of finding a power supply with the correct type of plug to fit the hub.

Has anyone come across anything that fits the bill while putting a computer in the car?

Reply to
rp

Spring the 5V from the Car PC psu.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

[snip]

Steve Firth

There is no car PC. The PC is 20 meters away down 4 active USB extension leads. There is a battery power pack with three cigar lighter sockets at the camera.

I've found a regulated psu at Maplin with a 5v output and a selection of connectors that will do the job:

I don't know how I missed it earlier in the week :-)

Reply to
rp

Been there, done that.

$75 carriage.

Reply to
rp

IDGAF. If you meant to type "and at pikey market prices" then you should say so.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've got an Ipod travel charger. 3 parts in a box off a market stall.

1: A USB to Ipod cable reel adaptor, gave that away. 2: A 3 pin mains USB charger which with a pound land USB cable reel that has 5 adaptors has charged my MP3 player and phone in Prague and on a cruise. It's also charged my Niece's Creative Zen. 3: A car cig socket 5V charger USB rated at 1000mA.

About £10 the lot.

I think the car phone chargers poundland sell aren't well regulated.

800mA but label suggests volts can be all over the place.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks for that Peter. I think I've seen that sort of thing but you can't pass data through the USB power socket. Before I got ill I'd have just made a regulator. It looks as though it's all a bit academic now. It appears the data rates are too high to share one USB 2.0 cable so I'll have to run two of them instead of using a hub. If the voltage drop is too high I'll just have to use two powered hubs.

It's for a camera and autoguider on a telescope and since it's powered by a 12v car battery in a case with cigar lighter (one of those jump start/portable power units) I thought someone may have come across a cig socket powered hub.

Reply to
rp