[OT] oldest e-mail?

i was probably about 7-8 when i started using computers, used to play around on my dad's sinclare QL which was...... well a heap of junk for games :) grew up with amiga's pretty much then got a SNES, then a PC in 1996 and a PS1 in 1997, got my own PC in my room when i was 14-15 which was quite rare as most of my school mates had only one pc for the whole house hehe.

now have a pc and laptop as well as a stash of old consoles, and another 2 computers downstairs all networked. loved working in IT before it got REALLY hard with all that database crap :(

Reply to
Vamp

pretty similar story here. With my dadworking in it for 30+ years we've always had the best equipment availble. I was lcuky in that respect. I was "online" before *most* people were even aware of this internet thing.

Reply to
Mason

Oldest email in my Inbox is dated Mon, 21 Jul 1997 00:40:11 +0000, it's from Stephen Fry. Yes *that* Stephen Fry.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which was nice...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Thats cool :o) mans a legend.

Reply to
Mason

in news:1gr21if.1esdveu1run6udN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) slurred :

There's a story there. Come on man, spill them thar beans.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I got an email from Dave Gorman once. I was on his mailing list and he got automatically added to my address book, and I once forwarded a virus warning, which turned out to be a hoax, and the first person to let me know was Dave Gorman. I replied saying thank you, and asked him what was in the pipeline, and got a personal response from him. Which was nice.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

Pete, what have you done to your newreader? Line length and wrapping has been fubar on every post for the last couple of weeks.

(Although OE-QF seems to have sorted it out for my reply)

Reply to
Grant

I think I increased the line length, thinking I was doing the right thing. Did I do wrong?

If so, let's play a game called "tell this dumbfuck what line length he should have" :-)

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

Try 76 characters and write one of your normal opuses - then we'll see :)

Reply to
Grant

Here goes then. But I'm afraid nothing of note's happened to me that'll remotely interest anyone (not that that's ever stopped me before), so I'll just waffle along until it fills up a few lines. Tax return coming up - that's a bitch. Also, in the weekend that I need to finish sorting things out, it's my Dad's birthday, which means doing things (same time as last year - funny that) and igitur less time to spend on finishing maximising my levels of tax avoidance. I'll probably just guess a load of figures like I did last year - that seemed to work. Anyway, so I've set the line length to

76 lines - I wonder if that's any better now. Oh, and for those that know me, I've gone a bit mad on car buying recently, currently driving an E32 730i, also got another E32 - a 735i SE laying in wait for me to decide which one I want to keep. The BX GTi is going, and having driven it for a bit tonight (just moved it from A to B before delivering it to its new owner on Saturday), I'm really going to miss it, and look forward to buying it back some time in the future. Oh, and the 735i SE is for sale - 161k, 4 days' tax, but a full year's MOT (only took a hazard light switch to get it through) - lovely condition inside and out, more or less full service history, £995 ono.

Yup - that should do - is that better?

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

72 is the correct setting.
Reply to
Steve Firth

I've had one suggestion of 76, one of 72 - any more offers?

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal: -

AstraVanMan

72 is correct as it gives 'breathing' space for quotation characters.

I also thought you'd sorted your sig with OE Quotefix, but it seems you haven't.

'Sort it aaaahhhhhhht you cahnt'

Reply to
SteveH

You forgot to add (trad.)