Ouch!

The Supra's winter and catching up service is adding up!

Spark plugs are £12 /each/ for this thing. Okay, they last 60,000 miles and I don't know when they were last changed (but it's close enough to

120K that if they were done on time I don't feel bad doing them now). £13 for antifreeze (that's alright, though, it's the proper stuff), oil and filter are the usual prices, £150 disappearing on new front tyres and it looks like I might have to replace the battery, unless I really didn't run it long enough to take a good charge last time.

And that's before I flush/change the ATF, which I can't do properly myself. I can drain it, but the proper change with the Torque convertor... and I should change the LSD oil too...

Sera is doing well out of trips to the garage though. It's getting proper antifreeze too as it didn't seem to have the right red stuff in, plus new door bottom weatherstrips and a new gas strut for the driver's door.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Big thing on the Toyota NG is don't flush the box, you will just push all the remaining clutch material out. Just change the fluid if is looks dirty/manky/burnt and hope for the best.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've never heard that before. Hmmm. It's working fine, I just figured it needs a change; it probably hasn't been done.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

"RichardK-PB" wrote

Unless you have one of those "maintenance free" batteries, I've found on numerous occasions that topping up the electrolyte in the battery really works wonders. I had to call the RAC out one morning thanks to a flat battery and nobody around to give me a jumpstart (I've since bought one of those rechargable jumpstart boxes) and he said I needed a new battery (but he didn't try to sell me one!).

I just bought some "battery water" from the Shell garage and topped up the battery. It was fine after that. I've repeated this trick quite a few times on different cars since. One of which was a diesel, so even the cold cranking amps required were provided happily by the battery after a top up.

All the above sounds really obvious but I've met so many people who will happily buy a new battery when there's at least another year in the battery they've got, so long as the electrolyte levels are ok.

Reply to
fishman

Levels are okay ;) I used to have a C5, you watched those like a hawk because the batteries were expensive and got charged/discharged a lot.

I think the problem was the alarm. It has a backup battery; I think I didn't let the battery charge enough before and now the alarm drained it, so I'm leaving the trickle charger attached for the day.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

"RichardK-PB" wrote