OT: Paging Passat fans and VAGisti.

I have water coming in the rear doors of the Passat I am custodian of:

to plain jpgs on some hosting of mine) The water seems to run in the door and fill up the rear footwells on both sides. Eventually it floods the CCM and weird stuff starts to happen with the windows and lights. Towels are the order of the day at the moment but the car's going to spend reasonable amounts of time sitting outside for weeks at a time and I'd like to get it sorted.

Has anyone got any suggestions? The door seal doesn't appear to be perished. Is the door needing adjusted? Faulty window seals?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Get rid of it - get a Mondeo, they don't leak :-)

Reply to
Iridium

No, you just don't notice the leaks, 'cos they drain straight through the holes in the floor. :-P

Reply to
SteveH

I happen to have a rather nice, but TDDi engined Mondeo Estate for sale...

Which could be the answer, check the drain holes in the sills on the Pissant. They may be blocked with Caledonian Crap.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh. Spoilsport.....

This happened to my Primula. You could hear water sloshing about inside the sills under braking and accelleration.

Reply to
SteveH

How much? Spec/pics/mileage/etc...?

I'm enjoying chucking my Primera about, but the running costs nag at my yorkshire-bred brain...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

51 plate, Zetec, Dark metallic green with Jewish Racing Beige interior, 65k miles (IIRC), some history - main agent until 2005, not sure after, will check tomorrow - rear pimp glass, around £2950.

There's a bloke mega interested in it who's coming to look at it again tomorrow but he seems to be a bit of a windowlicker.

Mondeo estates are quite good fun to hurl about, and incredibly huuuuuuge in the back.

Reply to
Pete M

There should be a plastic membrane sealing the inside of the door behind the door card. If this has been damaged or isn't stuck down properly then water will get into the car.

Reply to
Homer

The front doors have metal panels in them rather than plastic membranes, are the rear doors different?

I should probably go out and check (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sounds interesting. I'm not too fussy about creature comforts, but I assume the mondeos all had a/c by then?

Heh. Fair enough. Let me know if he doesn't take it.

According to the wikipedia, Ford basically snaffled the suspension design from the primera for the mondeo, hence the tidy handling. I wouldn't complain about that, anyway - the Primula is pretty enjoyable to chuck up and down the place.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Update: A bead of silicon has been laid round the lower edges of the metal panel as there was evidence that water had been seeping through the seal round the bottom.

I'll park it outside tomorrow and try filling the door with water to see what happens. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Zetecs did..

Will do.

Wikipedia knows nuffink.

Reply to
Pete M

Cool. haha. /ahem.

Ta muchly.

True enough. For quite a few weeks, one of my mates was apparently President of the Dominican Republic. Turns out that it wasn't true at all..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Right, the Mondeo looks like it's sold - subject to finance - so it's gone to the bodyshop today for a bit of a fettle. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Kewl...

Reply to
Pete M

Right you are. No worries. Keep me in mind if anything similar pops up at sensible money though, if you don't mind.

Heh. Our entire subnet has been banned from editing the wiki now, for some altogether unconnected reason.. :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

That's what I was going to say. IIRC they should be held on by a sort of mastic that stays rubbery - like 3M body caulking. The thing is, a lot of cars have drainage channels built into the door skin, and if you glue the membrane up at the bottom it gets a chance to have a head of water and the increased pressure eventually bursts it. The best place to apply sealant is to the bottom of the guttering inside the car door. OTOH if it fixes it for a while, you might as well wait for it to leak again.

Reply to
Doki

How many horses to they have, and how much?

Reply to
Doki

Drain holes blocked beneath the battery. Remove battery and clear drain holes.

Reply to
diy-newby

Thanks, I googled that too, and checked it out. It's a common problem I believe, but its fine under there in this case.

However, when I pour water into the back doors, I can see most of it run out the drain holes and some of it run out from under the door card, inside the door seal and into the rear footwells.

The problem is a faulty bead of sealant on the lower edge of the metal panel inside the door. I've run some sealant round the bottom of the inner door panel on both doors but I've made an arse of it on one side, I'll try and take some pictures of it when I open the door up to try again.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Doki, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Appears to be either 90 or 115. I imagine this one will have been a 90.

We normally sell them for between 2750 and 3500 depending on age, spec, etc. Occasionally get mega plenty cheapness ones.

I'm picking up a Toyota Pious today (Thursday)...

Reply to
Pete M