Paging Steve H: You can laugh now. First fault.

But it isn't serious. Fuel gauge just stopped working. First the light started flickering=20 on/off/on/off, then the needle started swinging, then light came on and=20 the needle dropped like a brick, then the light went on, flickered on=20 and off, and the needle danced between full and empty. and it still=20 does.

2/3rds of a tank of fuel. 3 things, the wiring to the gauge is loose if it is seperate. there is a ground fault somewhere. The sender is shagged.

Luckily I just pull the false floor and unscrew the collar. a new one is =A366 from Eurocarparts but they don't have one. I know where there is one in a scrappy that may fit. The scrapper is an=20

89 G and 89 is when the two types swapped.

I'm going to pop the speaker cover in the morning and see if anything is=20 loose, then if that fails pull the sender and see what is going on.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

I have patience.... this will be the first of many ;-)

*thud*

For a fuel level sender.

That's taking the piss.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup, that is why I'm going the scrappy. The car in the scrappy has done half the miles that my car has, so the=20 sender should last as long again. Hopefully. scrappy will probably ask=20 =A320. He wanted =A350 for a brake servo, and I didn't fancy shelling out= =20 =A3400 for a new one.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Well, it gets worse. Eurocarparts don't have any, even at that price. Partco don't list them Andrew page "Don't carry them anymore because they had too many warranty=20 claims". Scrap yard that had one in didn't have the key to the boot, so I=20 couldn't get it out, would bust it open. Their answer was "Can't help=20 you then sorry" when I told them it was locked.

But after that, I don't reckon it is the sender anyway. If I bridge 2 of=20 the 3 tracks at the back of the gauge, it shows full. There is a screwed=20 down terminal clamp that basically bridges those tracks. I wonder if the=20 connectors or tracks below the bridge have worn out. Can't tell without=20 spending a weekend stripping out the entire dash to get at the cluster.=20 And if I do that I risk screwing up the heater control rod, the vacuum=20 operated Vent servo selector, and losing all the radio tunings into the=20 bargain.