PETEM

Pete

How do you deal with the insurance co's when you change cars so often? Friend of mine changed his car a few times in one year and they refused eventually, accusing him of being a trader. That was Direct Line.

It's just that while I'm running this little Micra, mega cheap insurance and fuel economy I'd like to play with a few different cheapies along the way.

fishman

Another thing that I wondered was if insurance companies make an assumption that you've crashed quite a few of them and not claimed if you've changed car quite often. The reason for thinking this is that a mate of mine started driving with a policy under his mum's name with him as a named driver, and went through loads of cars, a mk2 cav sri, a capri 2.0S, an opel manta, god knows what else, but quite a few. Then his renewal quote was ridiculously high - my theory was that they were assuming he was crashing them and not telling them, hence loading his policy.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm insured on my Saab 900 T16 with Firebond on a classic policy - seems mean anything pre 1992 though:-) Cost £265 FC I've been through a few cars in the last couple of years - 15 or so. I just ring them up and say I want to change the car. It usually costs me a £17 admin fee. I'm 31 with no NCB

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

In news:D85Zc.48410$ snipped-for-privacy@hydra.nntpserver.com, fishman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Simple, I'm named on more than one traders policy. At the moment I'm named on the works' policy to drive anything belonging to anyone, the limo company's policy to drive anything belonging to anyone, my mates' bodyshop has me as a named driver, another mate whos a tyre fitter has me named on his policy, I'm on more insurance documents than even I can sometimes remember. Most traders policies will allow up to four named drivers for the same price as two. I just manage to get myself named in places where only

2-3 people work... Sometimes I'll get a traders policy with a couple of mates for £5-600 quid each. 3pf+t, but we can all drive anything we like as long as we all avoid claims like the plague.

Only problem with this arrangement is if one of my cars is stolen, it's tough shit on me. I just have to live with it. Can't claim on anyone elses policy, so if I'm planning on keeping a car for three or four months or so, and I'm going to do lots of mileage in it, I insure it on a classic policy. The Capri is on one, and XR4x4 is on one, but the XR4x4 is close to running out of mileage soon. Hence it being up for grabs. Two or three hundred quid to do 6000 miles in 3/4 months ain't bad really. Not when stuff like the 500 SEL only costs £320 for 6000 miles on a classic policy. (. o 0 Glad I didn't insure that one )

I actually took out FC insurance on the Sierra Estate today, £733 :-( My own fault, I let my NCB expire through lack of use.

Do it, just keep to the older stuff.

Reply to
Pete M

Where's your tyre fitter friend then?

I got myself 4 tyres for the Micra but Kwik Fit et al refuse to fit customers own tyres...

Reply to
fishman

I wouldnt let them fit them anyways. monkeys. Go find an independant garage and they'll do it for a tenner!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

See if Jim Jeffries Tyres will do it for a price?

I think they prefer to sell you tyres too (can't think why) but for cash one of the lads might fit and balance in his lunch hour.

Might make a fuss first.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Try one of the online tyre suppliers, blackcircles et al. they have lists of fitters on their sites.

Reply to
Tony Bond

In news:GojZc.66046$ snipped-for-privacy@hydra.nntpserver.com, fishman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

In Liverpool, P&R tyres, normally do motorbikes more than cars, but if you mention to either Chunky or Andy in there that you know Fast Cars Pete (I know, they called me it when I had the Integrales / Cosworth etc... it stuck), then they'll do it for you on the cheap.

Alternatively, there's a bloke in Latchford by the canal who'll fit 'em for you.

I know someone in Kwik Fit in Warrington.. I'll have a word for ya.

Reply to
Pete M

I went to a local motorfactors (thats sells wheels and tyres) and they charged me £7.50 a tyre. I think they made the price up on the spot though, there was probably scope for negotiation. I saved a few quid by buying my tyres online so didn't mind. £7.50 seems to be roughly what Kwik Fit seem to charge anyway when you look at the invoice IIRC. The guys I used also used the sticky on alloy weights rather than the clippy ones on my OEM alloys. Which was nice.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Tony Bond" wrote

You beauty, Selecta tyre in Macclesfield will sort me out for £5 per tyre. Hope I won't be asking for a "reeeeeeeeeeeefund" (sorry)

Reply to
fishman

Careful, they might just take your wheels and draw the tyres on with a marker pen.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Douglas Payne" wrote

I don't really get what you mean but if they did what you say they might, it'd not make a lot of difference given my micra's 135/80/12 tyres :)

Reply to
fishman

I'm sure I saw craig david in the barbers once having his beard applied with a large bore pentel.

I had a brief vision of craig david colouring in the edge of your naked micra wheels.

Jeeves, my coat!

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

How cheap were the tyres? It hardly seems worth the effort of finding someone to fit them rather than just buying them from a fitter. I'd only expect to pay about £20-25 a tyre for those including fitting, and that's for major brands.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

"James Grabowski" wrote

I know what you're saying, I got the tyres for £8 each, fitting will be a fiver each, so £13 a tyre, fitted ain't too bad!

Reply to
fishman