Outsourcing to India

Not totally OT as it concerns car insurance

Phoned Norwich Union to change car on policy (yep sold the dedra - anyone need a bailey DV24 dump valve?)

After what seemed an eternity of waiting, a guy who sounded like Apu from the Simpsons answered. He found it very difficult to comprehend my request (to change my car to one I borrowed from a mate, but only for the weekend until i bought a replacement) but to time the change at 9pm as this was when the guy who bought the dedra arranged to pick it up) I found myself having to reiterate my request several times in different ways, increasingly slowly, before getting my message across. He then refused to change the car over because I couldn't exactly identify the exact model of the car (I knew the reg and that it was a 1.8 Cav) I was borrowing for the weekend. He said I'd have to phone back when I knew exactly what the car was. (fair enough as NU got fingers burned last year when they mistook my dedra for the non-turbo model and quoted me accordingly)

Phoned back when I found that the car was LS spec. A different Apu. I was used to speaking with "no nonsense" Scottish accents when I called NU. Again it was very difficult to explain my situation, that I had sold my car, it was being picked up tonight at 9pm therefore I wanted my insurance to change over to the new car at 9pm, that the car would not be mine and would be just using it to drive to find a new car and would be changing again in a couple of days. Eventually I managed to get the car changed to the Cav, after which Apu said (say this in the Apu voice) "Congratulations on your new car sir" Bloody hell I spent so long explaining to him that I was borrowing the car!

Outsourcing to India sucks. When our economy least needs it, we're sacking the call centre workforce that dragged us out of the last recession. Okay it'll mean that a few big companies will make more profits cos they can pay Apu 3 grand a year instead of 12 grand (or whatever call centre monkeys get over here) but that profit goes to shareholders and fat cat types. The people who are being sacked in droves, who buy life insurance, car insurance, etc etc will be on the dole, no longer able to afford these services. Will the prices of these services drop proportionally with how much less they're paying Apu? NO! Will the profits rise? Yes, for a while - So we'll hit a recession, the insurance companies who rely on the stock market will post losses, and Apu will have nobody to talk to on the phone. Not to mention that it takes three times as long to explain what you want to Apu in New Delhi as it does to "No nonsense" Wendy in Scotland. And what takes the piss is that Apu on 3 grand a year in India is being paid more than a Doctor or Teacher over there! I saw on a TV prog tonight that they have to have a degree to work in a call centre! Not many call centre monkeys over here have degrees (they may be studying for one at the time tho - i worked for Cahoot online bank while at uni) Argh its all bollox

Reply to
Fishman19

But you might be glad of an Indian help line if you buy the new model from Rover...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Or a Morris Oxford.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Programme on telly last night stated that firms save on average over

40% by outsourcing to India..

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

They might do on paper, but what if there is a customer reaction? My neighbour refused to replace her Dyson with a new one after they moved production abroad. Sensible move anyway given that the old clapped one was only a few years old. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Heh. When we got my insurance quotes, NU were miles below the rest. My Dad something along the lines of "I had to explain everything three times, he was an Indian or something. It must be wrong. Better get it". :P Either it was wrong or NU are doing bloody good deals.

Reply to
Doki

*raises hand* Me either. I see no reason to pay more for a Dyson if it's made in the same factories as the many Japanese and Asian clones available for 1/2 the price. Make the Dyson as cheap, and I'll buy one again.

FWIW, mine hasn't broken. DC02s seem to be the least reliable, but my DC04 puts up with a lot of abuse and has yet to play up.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

"I am sorry sir. Your Cityrover is broken because Ganesh has fallen off the dashboard. Please order part number 444-777."

Must laugh at Autoexpress - covering the AngryWildDog - sorry, CrossFox

- from VW.

Rover's Streetwise has apparently started off a whole new genre...

(So, the Talbot Matra Rancho, those funny Mazda and Daihatsu things, and even - 4x4 aside - the Scenic RX4 and Kangoo 4x4 - failed to happen, then?).

Actually, I reckon Rover's Streetwise /has/ started a new genre. Laughable cars with silly names.

No, wait. Mitsubishi got there first...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

with the T-Box...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Never though I would want to contribute to a thread on Vacum cleaners, but here goes......

Vax 'big bubble' 150 watts, lifetime filter, all that dyson type vortex nonsense. £59 - that's fifty nine quid - from your local somerfield. So good, it sucks the carpets off the floor.

I'm putting bigger wheels and a 2kw motor on mine next payday.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
dojj

I design things and charge £25/hr. A guy in india will do it for $42 a day!! And he's got a degree ( probably from a UK uni ).

Reply to
yeha

my mrs was a teacher over there she took home more than the average wage worked out to be the equivalant of aruond about the £108 mark per month if she was a little older she could have been earning almost £160 a month it might not sound a lot, but x it by the exchange rate (which flutcuates but is generaly on the top side of 70Rs/£) and you get a good salary and when you think that, over there 1Rs = £1, or their equivalent, she was on a good wage but she did have to work 6 days a week (their kids go to school on a saturday as well :) )

compare that to my uncles bank manager salary (for which he goes to work for

3 days a week, and it's the same over there as it is over here (he get's almost £3k)
Reply to
dojj

ROFL

Reply to
Nom

no reason to pay more for a Dyson if it's

I love the way that Dysom motors have brushes made of the softest carbon possible so it wears out nice and fast and the actual brushes are non replaceable you have to replace the whole motor (£38) for the sake of a tuppenny bit of carbon....

That was before the clutch and wheels dropped to bits, oh and the infamous dyson cable diesease, ( now modified) the appliances are not mission critical

Perhaps its that mentality that makes me buy new bearings for the fan oven motor and spend 8hrs replacing them when the new " hostile environment motor" only cost £20

Reply to
Tom Burton

I noticed in Curries the other day a vast display of Dyson spares. I wanted some bags for my Panasonic - a machine they had on display. But they didn't have any. So it would seem Dysons go wrong and need spares more often than Panasonic need bags...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I got (what I think) was a good deal from NU Direct at the end of september. The lady informed me that they were doing 47% off new fully comp policies. It was cheaper than TPFT by a long way, and I did go through the details a couple of times to make sure it wasnt a mistake.

Anyway, the woman didnt seem to have a lack of english comprehension and did seem to understand what she was saying so I'd say it was a Callcentre in the UK.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne