PING: Burgerman, Elder, other alternative fuel peeps

Can you tell me how the calorific value of a litre of straight veg oil, or filtered waste oil compares with a litre of regular diesel?

I've had a quick google but I'm tired and maybe one of you guys will just know the answer.

One of my collegues today revealed he's experimenting with veg oil in his Golf GTTDI; he's currently running an 80/20 diesel/veg mix and will be playing about with the ratios.

So he's getting his fuel marginally cheaper at the moment but I'm wondering, if the 80/20 mix has a slightly lower calorific value than

100% diesel, would the reduction in mpg offset the small saving in the price of the fuel, in effect making it only worth it if you are running a high bio content, or straight veg oil?

Other than that, I might pop some in the Pug. I can't be arsed with the mess about of getting a Kero tank in, and there's be too many questions asked by nosy neighbours I reckon.

Reply to
Abo

Isn't the GT-TDI a PD engine?

Using veg. oil is a *very* bad idea, if so.

Reply to
SteveH

Might not be a GT. I possibly made that bit up because he's the type to have a GT...

Reply to
Abo

Not sure of figures, but some of the various 4x4 groups that I have visited when looking into it ("gas guzzlers" tend to look into it more than city hatchbacks strangely) reported better MPG, sometimes more ooomph, and less engine rattle running SVO or well filtered WVO in ratios of upto 30/40% oil in the winter and 50/60% oil in the summer. That is for straight one tank, no additional heating type systems.

People who run multitanks and heaters switch to 100% veg oil once upto temp without any issues. Seems to be the type of pump used though that is important. Inline pumps seems to work, I think it was bosch mainly, the "other make" fail because I think they were rotary/cavitation pumps and can't pump the thicker straight oil.

And I think the pre PD engines were better, but don't know about the PD engine problems. Mercs and some pugs do well.

Reply to
Elder

I've ran 3 older Citroen 1.9TDs on SVO with no mods for over 60k miles in all weathers with no probs at all. Can take a couple of goes to start when it's below freezing and you get some weird looks in Tesco with 20 bottles of veg oil in a trolley. Especially when you walk to the car park and pour it in the tank :-)

As elder says, less engine rattle, and consumption down in summer from 43mpg to 49mpg

Mike P

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Petrol has around 14500 to 14700 calories per pound Diesel has around 14,900 to 15,300 depending on exactly whats in it. Methanol (no oil but from crops) has only 7000 calories per pound. The reason you need to flow 2.2 times as much of it!!! But oil from crops has an unknown (to me) amount - more obviously! Weird. If it hasnt then you would not get more MPG. Wonder why they dont rub turbojets on it. I feel a plan comming on! Its gona smell like 1000 chip shops in my garden tommorow...

Reply to
news.cable.ntlworld.com

At the moment, after my 1MPH crawl home down the Mancunian way tonight,=20 followed by steady 85 down the M62, I'm torn between an old Merc Diesel=20 auto on veggie, and an LPG rangie auto with armchairs (and no I don't=20 want an S class cottage in the country). Consumption of petrol is almost acceptable except when on the crawl, and=20 a rangie on gas would be similar to the Octavia on petrol =A3 for =A3. The merc on part veggie would be far cheaper, but would be easier for=20 people to bully infront of because lane one is both the entry and next=20 exit slip and the person squeezing infront and pushing your wing isn't=20 getting off.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Nine Inch Nails-March of the Pigs

Elder

kJ 35000 per Kg. (Rape seed oil- but heres a problem, they are all different so grabbing a 5 litre can at sainsburies may get you sunflower. olive, god knows what oil).

Diesel is 15200 calories per pound.

I cant be bothered to do the conversion because it will interfere with my flyboys (no its not gay!) movie...

Reply to
Burgerman (god)

Ah, luckily I have a Makro card, so I can buy it in 20 litre drums from there and not look dodgy by having a shopping trolley full of oil at Tesco! And with a bit of luck it will always be the same stuff...

Looks like the veg oil will be better, consumption-wise then. Looks like I'll be giving it a diesel/veg mix a whirl next fill up...

Reply to
Abo

That the same 1.9TD that was in the 1993 - 1999 Pug 306? i.e. the pre-HDi lump?

Reply to
Abo

My tesco has an ethnic section where you can buy the big catering=20 corn/veg/rapeseed oil drums.

Not as good a price as a wholesale/club warehouse, but not bad.

=A35.29
=A32.99
=A33.75 All available in store. But I'm off to costco tomorrow so I'm going to=20 check that for price too.

And corn/veg/rape will oil run fine. Things like olive or palm oil can=20 be used but thicken up too much for UK cold weather. With a tank preheater, you can even run a diesel on animal fats melted=20 (lard/dripping).

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Damned-Alone Again Or

Elder

Costco have the KTC Vegoil 20 litre drums. Works out at 49p a litre. Just a little less than Tesco who's lowest online is 50p a litre. But in litre bottles.

Reply to
Elder

Double the price of kerosene...

Reply to
Burgerman (god)

But a lot easier for the man in the street to get hold of in reasonable quantities

Reply to
Abo

Find a couple of old 40 gallon drums. Call any of your local suppliers and the tanker driver will fill them up for you. He does not care what you do with it. Get an old oil heater for your garage if you are a worrier!

Reply to
Burgerman (god)