Veggy Oil

Crossposted: uk.rec.cars.modifications; uk.rec.cars.misc

I'm thinking of running an old 106 on vegetable oil and putting the GTi onto a classic policy, as I think my uni halls are in a less salubrious place than I'd like. I'd most likely be using fresh veg oil rather than used for convenience's sake. Anyone worked out what it costs buying veg oil in large quantities rather than from the supermarket? Anyone done it? Is it going to be worthwhile bearing in mind I'll still pay £250 or so a year on keeping the Golf insured, MOTed and taxed (although I could just tax it over the summer when I'm home and save a bit)? Cost of buying the 106 would be around £400, and the insurance should be less than the £500 a year spent on the Golf, which would offset some of the Golf's tax and insurance costs.

Reply to
Doki

Get a costco card and buy it in big drums like Chippies use.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Don't forget the extra tax you need to pay to use it a road fuel.

Reply to
Depresion

Get a costco card and buy it in big drums like Chippies use.

Unfortunately it's actually cheaper to buy Asda's finest (£1.32) for 3 litres rather than the 20 litre drums at Costco which are a tenner each + vat....

My ZX runs fine on it, just make sure you've got a Bosch, not a Lucas fuel pump - if you don't know, have a look. The manufacturers name is on the front of the pump casting.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike P from the North

Which reminds me of the time I flew in from the US and there was a sign up from customs apologising for the lack of staff on duty and asking people to phone them if they had anything to declare....

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

How much does the conversion cost to run it on veg oil? Or are you going to do the Top Gear recommended trick of adding white spirit so that you don't need a conversion? Or mix veg oil with normal diesel? (I know someone who does this, puts about 1/3rd veg oil into his tank.) Apparently used veg oil is better than fresh, maybe you could try and source a supply of this, there must be somewhere that buys and sells it...

Reply to
Tom Robinson

The conversion is around £400 for the bits, but in reality you could just make a heat exchanger for the fuel out of a couple of bits of copper pipe. Veg oil and diesel don't mix, so it's pointless putting them in together. I tried the trick of white spirit, but it made not much difference, so on a car I got for free, I just stick straight veg oil from Asda in it. Sometimes takes 2 goes to start when *really* cold, but other than that it runs as it does on normal diesel.....

I've found a few places that sell recycled veg oil, with duty paid for around 50p a litre. Problem is that they only sell in 2000 litre shipments delivered by tanker :-(

Mike

Reply to
Mike P from the North

Yep. It's about 30p a litre. Which if you get the oil cheap enough, is not far from red. And legal.

Reply to
Doki

Hmm. Got a couple of tanks here. Who?

Reply to
Doki

Nothing.

Reply to
Conor

Run it as a mix with road diesel though as the veggie oil might be too heavy for starting on cold mornings neat.

Tescos are selling cooking oil for 52 pence a litre at some branches. Unless you plan on selling it by the gallon I doubt you could get it much cheaper elsewhere and still make it worth your while (unless you already have storage facilitiies.)

It does seem to have the drawback of floating out sediment from tanks that have been in use with road diesel for some time. This might clog lines and you would need to clean the fliter frequently until the debris stopped arriving.

To the OP: I take it you have not yet read the recent posts on the subject?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Modem blew up. Will google.

Reply to
Doki

Weatherlawyer

Strange.

I tried the link and it said no such a thing then I went into the thread and copied the URL from the address in the bar and there it is again.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mike P from the North" saying something like:

Totally untrue.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Find any chippy or other place that does chips/deep fried stuff - they have to pay for disposal these days, so would be more than happy for someone to take it off their hands.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

He's in uni halls. What do students eat?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Can you run a car on beer, or would it have to be spirits?

Reply to
Gordon Hudson

Cheese toasties.

But there'll be a chippy nearby.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The government websites seem to suggest it should be more than that. What do you declare it as?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan