PING: Elder and the other northwesterners!

I'm working with a colleague in Widnes this week, and he's been having problems with his car. The synchro is bust, and it sounds like it needs a new CV joint too.

He only moved down there from Blackpool a couple of weeks ago. His trusted garage is of course in Blackpool... Can anyone here recommend a mechanic in the area who won't take the piss as far a labour costs are concerned? A bit of travel e.g. to Warrington etc. is doable.

Cheers!

Reply to
Abo

Yup.

I know a chap in Widnes who'll probably be able to help, if not, a chap in Speke who'll be able to do whatever you need.

Gimme a shout tomorrow on 07731 744088 and I'll have a word.

What car is it?

Reply to
Pete M

I'd drive around the synchro - opening up a gearbox can be an expensive hobby....

DAMHIKIJDOK?

Reply to
SteveH

Cheers mate! It's a '99 Hyundai Coupe lol

Reply to
Abo

It's pretty badly wankered TBH :(

Reply to
Abo

Not driven a s**te old Alfa, have you / he? ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

I have! I suspect he hasn't though...

Reply to
Abo

The bloke I used to use disappeared after his garage caught fire, and he wasn't insured.

Reply to
Elder

Doh, yeah I remember you posting about that, now you mention it...

Reply to
Abo

He has a long term shorty mini he was doing for someone who laboured at weekends, 2 cars he was selling, 2 customer cars, his 2 post lift, his cebora mig, his oxy set, his big, and I mean big compressor, a full set of snapons, all his air tools + all the accumulated other bits and pieces that made jobs easier. All gone in a big pile of twisty roof beams ash and brickwork. All still sat there must be at least a year later. Wonder if any of the snapon stuff could be salvaged under cover of darkness.

Reply to
Elder

Worth a punt surely?

Reply to
Abo

Might be tricky, the block and meshed the old roller door and the side entrance. Bolted to the walls, there is a club and snooker club across the road from the main door, and flood light near to the side door.

Wonder who you would talk to about legitimatley salvaging it.

Reply to
Elder

Where is this?

Reply to
conkersack

Find a mate who has a van, then turn up in hi-vis jackets and helmets and stuff so you look legit, then no one would bat an eye lid as long as you did at a reasonable working sort've time. Could even be a saturday morning really. Not 2am Sunday morning though hehe ;-)

Reply to
DanB

True enough; under to cover of daylight ;)

Reply to
Abo

At the bottom of Norman street, behind where the Gym, snooker club etc=20 is. There is a second row of garages/workshops doing car bits and restos=20 and a motorquip store down there.

His was the far end unit that is just a pile of rubble.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

His workshop is/was where the chimney pot is just above the A on the map.

Looks the photo is from before the photo because the building still has a roof.

Reply to
Elder

Bloody hell, and longer ago than I thought.

Elder