Ping PeteM: Kind of a modification post

From what I gathered over the years on this group, you work in the motor trade. Car salesman?

Anyway before I left the country to travel I'd already decided that I'd rather not return to the same kind of job as I had before, but always fancied being a car salesman (applied to Virgin Cars and the local BMW place when my employer announced redundancies but was knocked back on the grounds that I've insufficient experience).

So how do I overcome the lack of experience thing? I can sell things, I've done it in various ways over the years and I'm very good at flogging my old jalopies once I'm bored with them! Or do I just go out and buy a few cars to sell on for a profit and be the boss myself? OR do I get some kind of lowly dealership job like a valeter or car-mover- arounderer and sweeten the management with my charm and wit?

Any advice Pete?

Reply to
fishman

I believe PeteM and Dervy both got out of car sales and had less than positive things to say about the job...

(are you a natural salesman?)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

He is way too nice to sell cars.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Bloody hell!

Why are they such wankers!! Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
fishman

One of the reasons traders buy cars from us is that we describe them honestly. If there's a scratch, ciggy burn, dent, scraped wheel, electrical fault or whatever, we tell them and price the cars accordingly.

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply when they offer stuff to us. Even though we sell plenty of cars to them, and they make plenty of money out of said cars, they still try it on. We won't actually buy from the trade unless something is spectacularly Übercheap and worth taking the chance on. I buy my own cars off traders, but I buy them for me, not to trade on. Even then I expect trouble.

My 4.6 Rangie, bought off one of the few traders I actually trust and like, was described as "lovely, drives like new, nothing wrong with it". He was right about it driving really well, but to get it to what I'd describe as "nothing wrong with it" would take about a good few days work getting all the toys back as they should be.

Cruise doesn't, a/c needs fettling, "alarm fault" comes up on the dash although it's still working, centre glovebox lid doesn't open properly, needs a speaker amp replacing (they have 5), an ABS sensor sorting out, remote keyfob battery needs replacing (the dash display actually tells you so it's no excuse) and I've not tried the sunroof yet as the cloth on the blind needs replacing. He "didn't notice" any of the above, but TBH, it was cheap enough for me to not care. Mechanically it's blob on but I'd have been well pissed off if I'd paid proper money for it.

Reply to
Pete M