Inverter Use: Effect On Electronics?

I'm thinking of getting a 100 or 200w inverter for my k1500.

Are there any cautions on use? Ignition off/Engine off, engine on... Ignition on/engine off...

Can I toast the alternator and/or damage the computer?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I have about a 10 year old inverter and it's manual came with 2 cautions.

1) It will draw about 1 amp even if nothing is plugged into the 110V side. If you leave it plugged into a recepticle that gets power with the ignition in the "off" position it could drain your battery. 2) Don't have it connected to 12V when you start the engine as it may damage the inverter. I've accidentally done this several times with no damage.
Reply to
Ed H.

It will not hurt it as it has a low voltage cut out in it anyway. I think the caustion comes from having a heavy load on it and then voltage drops durring starting and then comes back up and it could surge into load attached to it when power is suddenly restored.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Non-tech answer: I've had a 400W inverter in my truck for years and never had a problem...

It has a low battery shut down and a surge protector or something... when the inverter is on and the laptop is plugged in and you shut the ignition off, it pings at me twice when I turn the engine back on.. lol

Also, I think that the newer inverters, especially the brand name ones, have added a lot of protections...

Mac

mac davis