Re: Fun with old cars, part 274b

I've fitted a turnbuckle adjuster to my EFI - the design of alternator mount makes getting the right leverage on the alternator to set the tension with the old slide one difficult. But I couldn't find one which would fit straight away so had to shorten and weld it. With hindsight I could probably have made one using threaded rod just as easily - rather like the Jag XJ6 arrangment. But I do have a 100 amp alternator which is pushing it for a V belt.

Having removed the A/C condenser - nominally for repairs - I now find my temperature stays at the thermostat setting even yesterday in a bad London traffic jam. Before, it would have gone over a (genuine) 100C.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well seeing as I got here at the end of February, and I'm in Melbourne, I haven't had much chance to get used to hotness. Kind of timed it so that I went from that cold, cold winter back into late summer/autumn. The weather for the first couple of months was gorgeous though.

Winter's now in full swing, with daytime tempratures maxing out at a whopping 16 celsius. Sometimes gets down to 4 degrees at night, which can be a bit nippy, especially as Aussie houses dispense with winter essentials such as decent-heating/insulation/double glazing... It's been rather moist of late too, though the resevoirs are still only at

33% and you aren't allowed to water the garden, wash the car. Neither of which affect me as there is no garden and my only transport is two wheeled (powered and unpowered) and I've got this awesome waterless cleaning product that removes crud and leaves the paintwork looking like it's been waxed.

That said, it is a mild winter for a Brit. To put it into context, a colleague recently road-tested the Golf R in Tasmanian snow and saw the cold weainther warning display for the first time in his life, and he's not young. Summer will be really hot. Melbourne has/had this london eye type big wheel and they had to take it down because the sun overheated the metal and damaged it enough to be rendered unsafe!!

Found out recently that the other place in the world with the most similar climate to Melbourne is Oporto in Portugal.

Reply to
fishman