Re: MOT Inspection Appeals

There is no "fault" at all with the car - the emissions test results

> are well within the acceptable limits for a non cat-equipped car...

No such thing.

The limits are for pre and post 1993. Yours is post 1993, so it needs to pass the stricter emissions test. Whether it has a Cat or not, is irrelevent.

Reply to
Nom

None.

Post 1993 cars must pass a stricter emissions test. Yours has failed.

Whether it has a Cat or not, is not relevent. But a Cat is the easiest way to pass - I suggest you get one fitted.

They will kick your ass.

None. Why on earth would you have ? It's not their fault your car doesn't comply with the emissions regulations !!!!!

Of course not.

Eh ?

The fault is with YOUR CAR. It's emissions are too high for a post-93 vehicle. You need to sort it. Quickest and easiest way, is with a Cat.

Reply to
Nom

One is not "needed to pass the MOT test".

If you're lucky, you can pass the test without a Cat. Some very modern engines, manage it with very little trouble.

Reply to
Nom

Yes it is (was), in this case.

As a non UK vehicle his car was not designed to meet our revised '93 onwards MOT emissions targets, therefore he can obtain special dispensation to have an MOT performed at the pre '93 levels.

Reply to
Lordy

But it was Vauxhall's fault, not the fault of the Ministry !

Fair enough then :)

Reply to
Nom

Nom ( snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.Somewhere) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Where did it appear that his car was a non-UK one? I seem to recall it being sold new in the UK, and being RHD and Vauxhall badged. That's a uniquely UK spec - Ireland gets Opel badging, and would probably have needed a cat for '93 as well, as that was an EU date, IIRC. Many countries required cats before then.

Sure, IIRC, there's one or two silly little spec differences, like aerial not where it "should be" - could it have been built to plod spec then "civilianised" and registered? Makes no difference. Even an import has to meet the same UK specs, unless there's a certificate to show it can't do that. That's a loophole that won't wash, to my mind, since the same car was available with cats meeting those specs.

Reply to
Adrian