Re: OT: America

More of that please. If you do something stupid, you get hurt or die.

> When you're putting others in danger that's another thing. But most of > the time, all this health and safety bullshit just gets in the way of > doing the job most of the time and makes us inefficient.

Some bits, yes, some bits no. Eg the H+S culture in eg construction and the chemical business is widely acknowledged to be sensible.

Where it goes wrong is people over-interpreting rules, encouraged by people who don't actually know what they're talking about. And that happens to even otherwise sensible H+S people :-(

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

What's your name, Vamp?

Health and Safety Executive.

Reply to
Clive George

So, does it only apply to the UK then or the whole EU? I'm thinking UK only, but just to be sure, I always like to learn new things :-)

Reply to
DanB

UK, as the

website address implies. Other countries have their own equivalents, but no idea what they are.

Reply to
Clive George

So, assuming I was reading right, and Conor did mean the UK, the Finland references from, erm, whoever posted that heh, were a bit random?

Reply to
DanB

yes i might even change it from Vamp to Health and Safety Executive

Reply to
Vamp

Not everything, just some things.

Reply to
Conor

Yup! I had it on series link too, but it got deleted after the first two episodes. And that one of the guys in the Melvin Lardy gang (haw haw) seemed to have a Prusian Blue t-shirt on, which made me laugh in a wrong way.

I've been to that part of the world (on holiday, not work related) - Astoria, Oregon. It's also where The Goonies was filmed (hence the holiday!).

Reply to
conkersack

Which bit is the environmental f*ck up? If you mean the burning (but it'd be a stretch to think you would), then it's due to the need of certain trees to endure a fire to germinate properly (in case anyone else was wondering).

Reply to
conkersack

Clearfelling large areas isn't brilliant, due a) massive disturbance and b) soil erosion. Fire again isn't brilliant for the soil as, if it's intense enough, it knackers all the microbial processes in the soil, removes all invertebrates etc. Really, mountain sides aren't a good place to have a forestry operation - they'd otherwise be pretty much disturbance free wilderness areas. OTOH I've no idea of whether anything in the US would bother living there. Carry on for long enough and you're likely to end up with a completely bare mountain.

Forestry as a whole isn't a brilliant process in ecological terms, but then neither is any large scale form of agriculture. I'm not in forestry so I've no idea how an american "road" would compare to a typical european compartment size, or of any of the ins and outs of it...

Reply to
Doki

shouldn't that be 5 pence worth? surely the way things are you opinion is worth less, or maybe we owe you 20p? now i'm just confusing myself

Reply to
Vamp

I see, yes, I agree that clearing mountainsides isn't great for soil erosion, but the fires on a small scale aren't anything to worry about

- even if the sections were scorched sterile, they'd not be like that for long. Also, the erosion can be combated by planting grasses (or more likely by not disturbing the grasses which will find their way there anyway). But it is true, having a properly managed 'tree farm' a- la Finland in a more suitable location is preferable. Mind you, I think in the Axe Men show mentioned, the biggest hill-side clearance was a clear-up due to a storm (could be wrong though).

Reply to
conkersack

Well, I know not to stand on the wrong side of a falling tree and when using a chainsaw amongst other protective gear you need chaimmail trousers.

Reply to
Elder

Well, there's probably taxes to take account of, and other financial / things/. But you're more than welcome to give me 20p!

Reply to
conkersack