Re: WTF

>> The thing's insured now, and IME swapping cars half way through

>>> insurance policies is a gip. There's a bit of a boost leak, which may >>> account for some of it - I was under the impression that these things >>> never dipped under 40mpg no matter how much beans you gave it. At the >>> minute my MK2 is cheaper to fuel than this thing by about a halfpenny a >>> mile... > > It's about half a ton lighter. Heavy stuff is rarely fuel efficient.

Especially if you're changing speed a lot - the HDI will win on a long cruise, but hefting 1.5ton plus of car up to speed all the time will hurt no matter what magic engine you've got.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Toyota Aygo VVTi if you're worried about fuel consumption. And you'll need one of those devices to keep the driver awake.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wouldn't be so sure, I've had ~15 mpg from a Yaris 1.0 when I was in a serious hurry (and it was a hire car)

Reply to
Pete M

I came close to buying an Aygo to tow behind the 4xFord but the owner lied to me it was a wrecked/recovered pile of shit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've driven both and the Merc certainly feels heavier :)

Reply to
fishman

That's because the Merc is made from pure build quality.

Reply to
Pete M

So I've heard. On my old Rover 825SD I just bought it from Tesco at

1/3 the price of diesel as it was back then. Now Tesco chipfat is the same price as diesel so what's the point!

Brilliant. Starts first time, every time. Had plenty of practical uses already. At a car boot sale more people came over just to talk about the car than bought anything! Been used for a couple of tip runs and to collect some 6x6 fence panels (those lovely chrome roof rails were handy for that). No dash lights at night or demister fan though, despite replacing the fuse. Never mind, as a cheap runabout it seriously rocks and it makes people in the street smile!

Reply to
fishman

The right hand pedal goes *all* the way to the floor, you know.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes but his right foot doesn't seem capable of the downward motion.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The Saab is showing 28 but returning more like 27 (thanks to the school holidays last week), but the week before, with the school run traffic it tends to be about 25.

Reply to
Elder

No point during the rush hour commute, though, is there..?

Reply to
DervMan

*cough*

SteveH

I'm not entering this contest.

Unless there's a prize for the lowest number.

Reply to
Pete M

NA 2.0 16v here - if we're going for mpg per litre or something to get some kinda balance. I'm so resetting it before I go round the ring ;-)

Reply to
DanB

Not much of an estate though. It's really for taking a couple of Milanese lawyers to the ski slopes rather than for taking a Lovejoy style wardrobe from Lavenham to Cheltenham.

I reckon the mould-breaking estates are Audi and the Musbishitti Legnum/VR4. They're actualy estates and neither is bad to drive, although the Mitsubishi makes the Audi roll over and scream "I'm not worthy."

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Mitsubishi isn't a diesel, though.

Reply to
SteveH

And this is a bad thing? Even with a petrol engine the 156 Sportwagon is still umm poor.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In your opinion, it might be.

This debate is about sporty diesel estates, of which there are many on the market these days.

However, a 156 GTA Sportwagon is a very fine vehicle, if a little impractical as an estate.

Reply to
SteveH

Where many is pronounced "none". I drove one of the Audis last year. As an estate it was OK, but over priced and over hyped. Dynamically it was s**te and certainly not at all "sporty".

It's certainly a fine vehicle as long as one only compares it with other Alfa estates. Other than that, it's s**te.

Sadly every Alfa I have driven since the Giulietta has been a disappointment.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My paragraph still applies: plenty else can you get for the same money that is more entertaining.

Reply to
DervMan